In Valencia, day 3: the city - Vuelta a Iberia - CycleBlaze

December 13, 2019

In Valencia, day 3: the city


Our walk through Valencia, Part 2.  We’ll, really this was the first part of the walk, and the Turia Gardens stroll came after.  I just felt like posting things in this order for no good reason.

We began by walking through the blocks surrounding city hall, gazing at buildings.  Much of this part of the city is quite modern, with many Valencian Art Deco buildings.  It’s hard to make progress, if you’re trying to get anywhere.  You see a colorful building down the street you’d like to get a better look at, and once there you round a corner and see another one.

The Ayuntamiento (city hall) is a huge complex, two blocks wide, and reflects several different styles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A detail of the Ayuntamiento.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dome at one end of the Ayuntamiento, a matching one rises at the opposite end of the building, two blocks away.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Valencia Post Office, also known as the palace of communications. A modern building, begun in 1915.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Above the main doorway of the post office.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A detail of the post office.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A dome at one corner of the post office.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I don’t know what any of the next series of buildings are. We just liked them well enough to save a photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After tearing ourselves away from that neighborhood we headed back to the public market.  We made a brief stop here two days back, arriving just before the closing hour when nearly all the booths were already shuttered, but it was obviously worth returning to at the right time.  It’s fantastic.  A huge, beautiful Valencian Art Deco structure with an endless array of booths and stalls selling everything imaginable. 

In case you’ve forgotten from two days ago, I’ll remind you that this is a huge modern building (started in 1915, completed 14 years later), covering 8,000 square meters and with room for 1,200 stalls.  It is primarily an enormous food market, but there are also a few souvenir stands and restaurants.  A fascinating place to wander through.

The central dome of the public market.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A long view down one wing of the market.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Adjacent to the modernist city market is the Silk Exchange, built in the late fourteen hundreds during what is recognized as Valencia’s Golden Age.  A UNESCO world heritage site, the Silk exchange is recognized as one of the most important non-religious gothic structures in Europe.

For centuries, silk production was the primary industry in Valencia, and the city is now recognized as the western capitol of the Silk Road.  Orchards surrounding the city were filled with mulberry trees; 5,000 workshops manufactured silk in the Velluters Neighborhood; and half of the city’s working population was engaged in the silk industry.

Llotja de la Seda, the Silk Exchang
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Silk Exchange
Heart 5 Comment 0
In the Silk Exchange. There are a number of strange and grotesque gargoyles, some almost pornographic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Silk Exchange
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Silk Exchange
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Silk Exchange
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking out from the Silk Exchange to Sacred Heart Church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Silk Exchange. The photo on the right is of a reflection from the windows on the left.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In the Silk Exchange. The columns are intended to represent a grove of palm trees.
Heart 3 Comment 0

So those were the main sights for the morning.  We also climbed to the top of Serrano Towers for a good view across the city, and then stopped in at a restaurant for lunch for our main meal of the day.  Afterwards we walked together as far as the Royal Bridge so that Rachael could show me its huge gargoyles that she had seen on her first walk.  After that we split up, and I continued on to the City of Arts and Sciences (which she toured earlier).

Valencia is an amazing city.  Even with a five night stay, it feels like we’re just scratching the surface here.  And, it still feels to me like the most bike-friendly large city I’ve ever visited.

A few other miscellaneous photos from the day:

Flower stalls in Ayuntamiento Plaza.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Valencia is well decorated for the holiday season, but it’s all pretty soft-spoken.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Rialto Theater, facing on Ayuntamiento Square opposite city hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Figurines on the Rialto Theater.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A colorful array opposite the city market. Below the frame is a line of tarp-covered cafes, with a pair of street musicians performing in the plaza in front of them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We liked the way her clothing coordinated with the door she’s posing in front of.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A bit of ironwork on Serranos Towers. There’s that bat again! Are bats an icon of Valencia?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jen RahnYes! At the Ayuntamiento, too. Is Batman from Valencia?

From Wikipedia:

"the bat represents a commemoration of the role of this city in the conquest of Valencia. The bat now rests just below the crown in Teruel's seal. While the use of the bat as a heraldic symbol is prevalent in the territories of the former Crown of Aragon it is rarely used elsewhere."
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
High on the walls of Serrano Towers, risking it all for that perfect Instagram shot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We never did figure out what this beauty is dressed for, but we saw several more like her later this evening.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Jen RahnWow! She's almost too fancy to be real.

I would love to see her dance in that dress. The dress looks too heavy and stiff for Flamenco, but maybe a graceful ballroom dance?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnThanks for prompting me to look this up. She’s a Fallera, as are the ones we saw the next evening. It’s a traditional Valencian style, almost a whole lifestyle for the participants. They dress up this way for the Falla, Valencia’s most important festival, which falls in March; but they trot themselves out for other festivities throughout the year also.

And no, I doubt she could dance in that. She could hardly even sit down when she was posing for a shot on the stairs.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnFascinating. And I just read that the dresses can cost as much as $20,000 Euros!

Not sure I'd want to spend that much on a dress that looks so uncomfortable.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The view across the old city from the roof of Serrano Towers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0