Ocean View - Around a pretty big island - CycleBlaze

January 3, 2018

Ocean View

Today’s ride follows the Kona Coast south to Ocean View.  We’ll leave soon after Bike Works opens at 9.  We’d like to get an earlier start, but somehow we arrived in Hawaii with four hands but only two gloves.  We’re lucky there a store close by, so we might as well take advantage of it.

On the upside though, this gave me some extra time to wander around the Kailua waterfront.  This is going to be a dazzling trip!

Daybreak at Kailua-Kona
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mokuaikaua Church, Kona
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fanfare
Heart 4 Comment 0
Mokuaikaua Church, Kona
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Out of time; see you later.

So, it’s  later now.  We’re back in our room in Ocean View, having just returned from dinner at the nearby bar and grill, about a half mile away.  Nice place, delicious stir fry.  The highlight though was the walk home after dark on an unlit highway.  Pitch black without our cellphone flashlight, except when an occasional car passed.  It has been years since I’ve seen so many stars.

We haven’t been afoot in darkness like this in years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shot was harder to take than it looks.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before this though of course came the day’s ride; and before that a few hours of frustration that held us up from starting our ride until 11, when it was already hot and we’re starting to feel pressed for time.  One thing after another held us up - replacing Rachael’s missing gloves; finding replacements for the mount screws for Rachael’s GoPro; having my brakes adjusted when I realized one was almost completely unresponsive; and then dealing with the fact that we forgot the charger for the GoPro.  Not the most promising start.

On the other hand, we enjoyed chatting with the bike mechanic - a recent Portland refugee driven off by last winter’s dreadful weather.  We were surprised to gradually realize we knew each other from when he worked at the Bike Gallery.

The ride was challenging but great - quite hot and humid at first, but quite comfortable on the back half after a cloud layer formed and cooled things down considerably.  The first half was beautiful - after riding close by the coast for about ten miles we crossed a 1700’ ridge, passing through a few miles of coffee plantations as we slowly climbed toward the summit; dropped steeply to the shore again, where we stopped for lunch at Kealakekua Historical Park, eating our peanut butter sandwiches on the black lava rocks lining the beach; and then slowly climbing back out again. 

Heart 2 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonGorgeous shot! Are you using your GoPro here?
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonHey, Suzanne! Yep - Rachael’s got the GoPro, and just sent me her first two last night, from our days in Volcano. I’ll link them in this morning,
.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Waiting for the big one
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I’ve never seen coffee growing, and I assumed these trees were coffee. It doesn’t match any photos I’ve seen though. What is this?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Keith AdamsYour long wait is over: Google's image search claims it's river tamarind (Leucaena leucocephala (Leucaena)).

https://keys.lucidcentral.org/keys/v3/eafrinet/weeds/key/weeds/Media/Html/Leucaena_leucocephala_(Leucaena).htm

In some areas it's an invasive species (http://www.iucngisd.org/gisd/species.php?sc=23)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

A surprising highlight of the day was the wonderful Saint Benedict Catholic Church, better known simply as the Painted Church.  We were lucky to stumble on it, as we had no idea of its existence before today.  It was all the more delightful for being so unexpected.

Saint Benedict Catholic Church (the Painted Church)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint Benedict Catholic Church
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Painted Church
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Ocean View is a curious spot - a large grid of paved streets through a lava field in the middle of nowhere, with only a few houses.  It feels really off the grid here.  I was glad we found a B&B here (Leilani’s),since without one this route wouldn’t be viable for us.  Lynn, the proprietress, is a surprise.  An wiry elderly lady, she lets on that she’s done a bit of bike touring herself in her day.  She eases in slowly, telling us of her tour of Denmark. It’s surprisingly hilly, she informs us.  We act impressed, so she continues: oh, and she biked the length of the west coast in the US.  Oh, and she set off on a solo RTW tour in 1985, starting in Japan.  She made it across China also, where she was given a government escort.  Denied permission to Bike across Russia, she took the Trans-Siberian Express instead; but after that her tour was cut short by a family emergency.

People are so surprising once you get them talking!

Elevation gain: 4,900’

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 54 miles (87 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauHi Scott and Rocky,

It is -6 degrees here in MN this morning. I hope you're happy.

Seriously though, your trip is making me think about going south for a bike tour in the next month or two. Hopefully that will shorten my winter by a few weeks. It looks like you're having a good time. Keep it up.

Greg
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Scott AndersonWell, we’re a whole lot happier than if it were minus 6, Greg! We were getting grouchy in Portland and it’s been mostly about 40. You should be down here instead of us! We’ll think warm thoughts for you today.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago