Day 2 - Elkford to Sparwood - Fire On The Mountain - A Small Section of the Great Divide Ride 2021 - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2021

Day 2 - Elkford to Sparwood

More cut blocks and coal mines but also glorious sun

With the additional 25 km's we tacked onto yesterday, our ride today to Sparwood was pretty short. We had already booked and paid for a hotel in Sparwood, and the next readily available camping past Sparwood on the route we were taking was another 35 km's away, and would just cut short the next day in domino fashion, we took the opportunity for a leisurely day.

It was still overcast with very low lying clouds when we got up in the morning but the forecast called for the clouds to burn off around mid-day with full sun after that.

We were in no hurry to break camp and we eventually started pedalling away from Elkford around 9 am. The Great Divide trail more or less parallels the main Elk Valley highway, which from here south to Sparwood is paved with quite a bit of traffic (i.e the muffler less trucks from last night).  The GD trail started out as a very nice and what looks like a recently built single track section. This ran for a few km's and then transitioned into gravel (and some mud) forestry roads similar to what were were riding yesterday for the next 20km's. The final run into Sparwood was on the very quiet and very nice paved Lower Sparwood Road.

The approach into Sparwood was much more pleasant than we had anticipated, probably helped by the now clear blue sky and mid 20's temperature. Overall, pretty easy and pleasant riding.

We ran across another pair of cyclists who were headed north, Jeremy and Blair from Nelson. They had just started riding in Sparwood and were riding a multiday loop that would bring them back home to Nelson. Their bikes and panniers were spotless! that won't last long :)

Our 'wild life' spotting was all in the first 25 km's of the ride and consisted of a couple of deer on the edge of Elkford, Blue Grouse and from a distance what we though might be a black bear, but turned out to only be one of a herd of Angus cows.

The Lower Elk valley road into Sparwood turned out to be a really pleasant surprise. There was essentially no traffic, lots of interesting a acreages and farms with the requisite dead vehicle graveyards, and somewhat surprising, many pandemic inspired homemade inspirational/ feel-good signs posted along the road. 

Once in Sparwood we did what appears to be the mandatory thing for all riders ... we took our pictures by the Worlds Largest Truck, and then headed off to the very plain but functional Valley Motel.

After checking in, getting cleaned up and plugging in our electronics to charge, our focus turned to getting some food and drinks into us. The dining choices in Sparwood are quite limited but there were two places within a short walking distance of the motel. The Arowana, a Chinese restaurant that a few friends recommended and the Silver Fox Pub that looked like it had a checkered past but was now under new management. We figured we'd give both a try, the Fox for a post ride bevy and then the Arowana for dinner.

The Fox turned out to be quite good and a fun atmosphere so we ended up staying there and stuffing ourselves with beer, burgers and fries. Back to K's healthier dried camp meals tomorrow!

All in, an easy and relaxing day of biking with everything from good manageable single track to quiet country roads through farms and acreages.

Heart 1 Comment 0

SOTD - this is the Elk Valley and we're surrounded by coal mines ... what else could it be ... 16 Tons as re-imagined by Jeff Beck and Billy Gibbons

First fauna of the day. A young deer on the outskirts of Elkford
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very nice single track for a few km's leaving Elkford. Still cool and overcast.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More of the single track leaving Elkford
Heart 1 Comment 0
... and some more. Nice forested section
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very low lying clouds all morning. The forecast was for clearing skys around mid day
Heart 1 Comment 0
more fauna. Blue Grouse we think. There were 5 in this flock and these three decided to pose on this stump so I could get this picture.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Single track done, we were now on logging / forestry roads. Still some puddles from last night's rain but the road was not muddy to ride on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Natural sulphur spring. Very unique green colour and the classic rotten-egg sulphur smell
Heart 1 Comment 0
The spring inlet was underground. You could see the water rippling just above the sign post where the inlet was.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very nice and easy riding through forests
Heart 1 Comment 0
From a distance we saw a black animal crossing the road and thought it might be a black bear. On closer inspection it turned out to be this guy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jeremy and Blair from Nelson. The only other cyclists we saw today. They had just started their trip in Sparwood and were going a multiday loop back to Nelson.
Heart 3 Comment 0
More cows and gravel forestry roads. The roads were in very good shape north of Sparwood. Easy flat cycling too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch time. It was clearing off and warming up so be broke out the tent and fly to dry them. Took about 10 minutes to dry once the sun got on them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Packing up after lunch. Just a few more km's to reach Sparwood and we're starting to see more mine infrastructure,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very nice riding on the quiet Lower Sparwood Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last bit of clouds clinging to the ridge tops. They would be gone soon leaving clear blue sky for the rest of the day,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Classic rural scene. Farm yard with the old vehicle graveyard. There were probably 20 or more old cars, truck and tractors. This one was actually quite neatly arranged!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More bucolic countryside along the Lower Sparwood Road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tell-tale strip mine tailings pile appearing on the ridges now ... getting close to Sparwood
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very nice bike and pedestrian infrastructure coming into Sparwood. We were impressed!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back up the rail line to the Sparwood mine and loading facility. This is one of the world's largest suppliers of metallurgical coal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And the requisite Sparwood tourist shot. We got the miner statue in this one too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
and a fine cold bevy to finish the day!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Well fed and signing off from Sparwood!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 119 km (74 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonGreat to see you two out on the road again!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ron SuchanekI'm glad I stumbled on your journal here. I'm doing the GDMBR from Banff in June and have been debating the Flathead alternate versus the Fernie route.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago