Saint Florent - Lavender Fields, Forever - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2003

Saint Florent

The day began somewhat frustratingly - first, when I discovered the loss of my walking shorts that I left behind in Basti, and then at breakfast as we waited out the slow progress of a large tour group.  Anxious to get an early start and avoid the worst of the heat, we were exasperated to be held up by thirty dawdly oldsters. 

The climb to Col de Serre was much milder than I had feared - a steady, gradual five mile climb, about as difficult as the climb to Skyline Drive that we do every weekend in Portland.  Traffic was very light, and we were mostly in the shade.  Halfway to the summit, a herd of beautiful long-horned goats arrested traffic for a few minutes.

Cap Corse, from the climb to Col de Serre
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

From the top, a sharp descent dropped us to a balcony a few hundred meters above the west coast of the cape.  Heading south now, meandering along the face of the ridge, we enjoyed perhaps the best day of coastal riding of my life - spectacular scenery, virtually no traffic, an occasional colorful village or Genoese tower.  Nonza, with its pastel facaded church and its tower overlooking the beach far below, is particularly lovely.

On the west coast of Cap Corse
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tower of Nonza
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pino
Heart 1 Comment 0
Santa Maria Assunta Church, Pino
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsAn early, beginner's-level edition of "Where's Rachael now?"... :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYou’re right. I just finished rereading the journal before updating it. I’d love to repeat this ride - the whole tour really.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

By midafternoon we left the cape and entered the wine country of Patrimonio, a small region whose products we've been enjoying nightly since our arrival in Corsica.  We arrived at our hotel in Saint Florent at about 3:30, showered, and headed to the pool for a dip and then a nap in the shade until dinner.

Saint Florent is a lovely small port town, its wide bay filled with sailboats, its waterfront lined with tempting restaurants.  We were to enjoy two wonderful evenings here, dining until dusk and then sitting on the jetty watching the sun go down as we finished our deserts.

Saint Florent
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Total elevation gain: for the day, 4,040'.  For the tour, 4,900'.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 72 miles (116 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0