Final Thoughts - On Patrol NJ - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2020

Final Thoughts

Heart 3 Comment 0

REFLECTING:  On Patrol NJ ~ was a huge success in many ways.  I think Bill would agree that the weather couldn't have been much better and, heck the roads were pretty good too.  As you know, the route took us from rural farmlands outside Egg Harbor City to the popular summer vacation shorelines along the eastern coastline all the way to elegant Cape May and a ferry boat to Lewes Delaware.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

The magic of the "On Patrol NJ" bicycle tour, I feel, was realized as we left the busier Atlantic coastal towns and headed north to explore the bayside region of southern Jersey.   I think some call it the forgotten towns of New Jersey.  Here small towns full of history and character are scattered about in an environment where nature rules.   There are no boardwalks or Manco Manco Pizza here, but there is plenty of wildlife and beautiful and peaceful scenery.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

Finding a straight line to your destination in this region is difficult to impossible; many roads lead to the bay and a beach or a wildlife preserve like Turkey Point Natural Viewing Area.  We stumbled upon this treasure after Bill took us off route to explore.  So worth it!

Yes, Day 4 was only 31 miles, but we both thought it was the most scenic day of touring while on patrol in southern Jersey.  From bayside we headed inland and north into a totally different world ~ the vastness of the Pine Barrens.   

From Wikipedia ~ The New Jersey Pine Barrens, also known as the Pinelands or simply the Pines, is the largest remaining example of the Atlantic coastal pine barrens ecosystem, stretching across more than seven counties of New Jersey.

Day 5 ~ Fortescue to Egg Harbor City
Heart 2 Comment 0

Bill and I were both amazed at the kindness and hospitality that the people of southern New Jersey showed us.   We tried to capture some of them on film and share their story, but seriously, there were many more. Two of these were Doug and George.  Doug, who I met online (warmshowers.org) generously let us park our car at his home for five days.  Doug was on tour himself and asked his neighbor Diane to come and check on us before we departed for our trip.  

Then there was George from the Downe Twp Fire/Rescue Dive Team in Newport.  He gave us permission to set up our tents at the firehouse on Fortescue for the night.   

Heart 3 Comment 0

Speaking of overnights, I have to mention Nancy from the East Point Lighthouse, who provided us lawn space (and a private tour) at one of the most beautiful lighthouses I've ever visited.  

On Patrol NJ 2020 ~ thank you for the memories!

Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 5
brandon spanglerlove this format. i think it worked out really great. thank you for sharing it with us!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerThank you a Brandon for looking....
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonThanks for bringing us along, Keith. Beautiful photography. Looking forward to seeing where you take us next.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Daniel SpanglerGreat final thought. Way to wrap it all up. Patrol over. Moored home port.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Tamora StumGlad you and Bill enjoyed your "Coasties Loop". Love seeing all he pictures of your adventure. So happy Bill was there to rescue you at the end of the trip. Keep on "Trucking" hubby!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago