To Monpazier - The Bordeaux Loop - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2008

To Monpazier

Racing in to beat the storm yesterday afternoon, we didn’t get much of a chance to look at Puy l’Eveque last night.  With a relatively easier day ahead of us, we take our time getting started and take a look around town in the morning sun. 

Puy l’Eveque
Heart 0 Comment 0
Puy l’Eveque
Heart 1 Comment 0

We’re nearing the end of the tour.  Today we biked northwest into the low but lumpy wedge of land between the Lot and Dordogne to Monpazier, our destination for the night.  With plenty of time and little distance to cover we took an indirect route to get there, continuing downstream along the Lot for a few miles before leaving the river and turning north.  The Lot and especially the Dordogne are tourist magnets, but away from the river the crowds thin out considerably and we found generally quiet but hilly roads.  Along the way we paused to admire Bonaguil, allegedly the last of the fortified chateaus; and to eat lunch beneath the walls of the chateau at Biron.

Bonaguil
Heart 0 Comment 0
Biron
Heart 1 Comment 0
Biron
Heart 0 Comment 0

Monpazier is a gorgeous little place with a well preserved medieval core and a reputation as possibly the best preserved of the bastide towns.  The central square is delightful, lined on all sides by arched arcades and stone structures dating back to when the town was founded in the late 1200’s.  A bit off the tourist circuit and less crowded than its more famous neighbors, it made one of our favorite overnight stays of the tour.

Monpazier
Heart 1 Comment 0
Monpazier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monpazier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monpazier
Heart 2 Comment 0
Monpazier
Heart 1 Comment 0
Monpazier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats: 34 miles, 2,600’; for the tour: 1,123 miles, 45,500’

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 1,050 miles (1,690 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierWhat a great ride. You were biking studs to do all those km! It will take us the next 5-10 tours to cover that much ground. Great ideas in this journal for other folks planning rides in this part of France.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierThanks, Rich. France is so amazing, isn’t it? So many spots here I’d love to see again,
Reply to this comment
2 years ago