Epilog - Travels With Bernie - CycleBlaze

Epilog

November, 2019.   

We cycled away from Hochst  in March, saying that we would be back to store the bikes again, after our spin up to Vienna and Prague and around by Dresden and Nuremberg.  But we had a feeling it was not to be. As it happened, our own emergency drew us away before we returned to Hochst.

Emails from Bernie's daughter, Kathrin, later told us that Bernie was in hospital.

We learned about Bernie's passing from his sister, Magdalen. But she recounted that in his final days he had reminisced about Canada, and hopefully we were in there too:

"He is now free from his tired body. He told us in his last days lots of his adventures, specially from canada/vancouver which impressed him so much. His spirit and sole was refreshed while talking about his experiences. Thanks that you were compagnions from him. "

Thanks for everything, Bernie and Delia
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bernie points to the lands he loved. He was a truly stellar person: strong, humble, kind, and generous. We feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know him, albeit for only a short time. The world is a lesser place without him. He will be truly missed.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Postscript:

On reading the blog, Bernie's sister Magdalen has written:

"This remembrance of my brother is deep in my heart and so I also feel near to all of you, Steve, Dodie, Marvin and Erika and it is of a great value in it. 


Thank you for being a friend of Bernie, all of you made his life brighter."

And Magdalen offers this final photo, from the Lake:

Sunset at Bodensee
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Keith ClassenSteve and Dodie - A beautiful tribute to your friend Bernie...thanks for sharing!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith ClassenThanks or reading, Keith and Kathleen. We will be able to tell Bernie's family that a lot of people followed this story.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekNice tribute to your friend. Thanks for putting it out here.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesI was glad to be able to write Bernie's sister tonight, and report over 1300 views and many "likes".
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamThat was a touching blog you wrote The people that support on our way are wonderful as are the ones like you that support us on these sites
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamThanks Tricia. We are also very happy to see that Bernie's younger sister, and the rest of his family have appreciated the blog.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithI have been reading your blogs for years, but have rarely commented. This was a moving and beautiful tribute to your friend and made me feel the impact of his loss. Thank you for posting this.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks Jeanna and Kerry. We were not sure that this would make a good blog, and benefited from the open minded approach of Jeff Arnim, who started this site. Jeff said, sure, give it a try. We are gratified by all the positive comments that have since been received. Most importantly, the blog has been meaningful to Bernie's family, and we hope to continue our Travels with Bernie by returning to them and to the Bodensee on our bikes as soon as we can.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago