Bernie in Canada - Travels With Bernie - CycleBlaze

Bernie in Canada

One of the takeaways from this little blog is about the way that cycle touring can lead to our finding people out in the wide world who become fast friends, When we put ourselves on bicycles, out in the elements, and away from our normal support network, we are deliberately taking a vulnerable position. Some people will take advantage of that. The usual case is from the wheel of a car - to bully us off the road. And I guess there is other stuff, like over charging or outright theft. The vast majority of people are just neutral - going about their business, and letting us do our thing. Among these are also the many who give gentle measures of support - like a "Bon Courage", or in a hotel - making sure the bikes have a safe storage place. Finally there are the select ones, who go out of their way, even far out of their way, to lend a hand. In this way, cycling automatically sorts a community into kindness groups. Since we highly value kindness in people, cycling turns up for us the kindest ones, and these are people we would like to get to know better.

Another aspect of this is the desire to return the kindness of those who have welcomed and helped us. That is why we carry "business cards" and use these to selectively invite people to come see us in Canada.

Bernie had already been to Canada a couple of times, but as an avid hiker he was interested in our West Coast Trail, which is a rugged 5-7 day trek along the outer Pacific coast of Vancouver Island. We dutifully found him a guide book, although it was for the similar but less demanding Juan Da Fuca trail, which we were recommending. And of course we invited Bernie, Delia, and daughter Kathi to stay at our place.

My knowledge of where the trio went in British Columbia during that time in 2016 is not detailed, but their visit to our farm was glorious. Bernie was in his element - chopping wood, driving the tractor, and picking berries. And we made an excursion to the market on Saltspring Island, proudly showing the trio all we could of our immediate area.

Delia and Bernie
Heart 3 Comment 0
Good times at the Saltspring market
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the Saltspring market
Heart 3 Comment 0
Delia cooking in our kitchen
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kathi and Dodie
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bernie in his element
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bernie and John Deere
Heart 4 Comment 0
Delia tends flowers at our house
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nearby float homes are always nice to show visitors
Heart 2 Comment 0

Although it's wonderful to receive hospitality when we are away from home, if anything it's even more fun to welcome guests from afar. That's why we, and so many others, stand as Warmshowers hosts.  These photos above bring us a lot of joy, and are a big part of our Travels with Bernie.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ron SuchanekWe are looking forward to returning to Oregon next year and hope to become WS hosts for the reasons you spelled out.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Ron SuchanekYes, hosting (or being the guest) is worth it. It is "costly" though, because you may want to invest in keeping up contact with people for years.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago