To Nice - Three Seasons Around France: Autumn - CycleBlaze

November 23, 2022

To Nice

The rain has passed on by morning, the skies have cleared, we’ve got a gorgeous day ahead of us for the short run in to Nice.

The view from our room this morning is brighter than when we rolled in yesterday.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our hotel in Mandelieu. Very nice place, very nice hosts, very reasonable rate. All good.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s always a good day to sail your boat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down Main Street, Mandelieu. This and the view from our window covers most of the village - the commercial heart of it, anyway. It’s actually a pretty substantial little place though - the train stops here, there are a handful of restaurants to choose from, there’s a castle, and there’s a waterfront counterpart across the tracks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tower of La Mancha, part of the restored 14th century Chateau de la Napouli. It’s just on the other side of the tracks from Mandelieu, through the pedestrian underpass.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A row of cheerful gargoyles guards the entrance to the chateau. It was bought and extensively restored after World War 1 by Henry Clews, an American artist. It’s closed today but it looks well worth a visit.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Yesterday’s ride was really excellent, rounding colorful Estérel and getting that amazing view of the mountains.  What could be better?  Well, today could be better.  It’s sunny, we have a tailwind, Antibes is stunning, the mountains are closer and even more stunning, and there’s a continuous bike path that extends all the way from Antibes to Nice.  Off the scale fun.

Approaching Beautiful Cannes. You really can’t beat coming to places like this off season.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking back at Estérel from the Cannes waterfront.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Yes, it’s always a good day to ride. Some days though are just way better than others.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesThat color of the water!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesI was really pleased that this came out. It’s just how it looked. Mesmerizing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Some blue chairs, Cannes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching old Antibes, with Nice in the background. Those mountains!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI love that the tricolor is standing proud and straight out from the staff, atop the tower. "Here be France, and bedamned to anyone who dares say different."
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
In Antibes. Besides its status as a prestigious resort midway between Cannes and Nice, old Antibes is known for its 16th century walls and Fort Carré, strengthened and fortified by Vauban.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view east from Antibes. Not a bad spot for your morning calisthenics class.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We grabbed sandwiches from a shop in Antibes and leaned against the walls in the sun. Soon we were joined by this interesting, well-traveled woman from Devon and discussed the state of the world until it was time to move on.
Heart 3 Comment 0
For some reason this guy stayed close by while we ate our sandwiches. Just likes Yanks, I guess.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Nice looks especially nice today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking up at Cagnes-sur-Mer. That’s the Grimaldi chateau on top, I think.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Video sound track: Bodas de Oro, by Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban

So after over eight months we finally come to Nice, our final destination.  Neither of us can quite believe it, really.  For at least the last week we’ve been talking in amazement at how close we are to the end of the road.  It’s always this way at the end of a tour - suddenly you’re here, and even though you’ve known it’s coming it always feels like a shock somehow.

But it’s not actually the end of the road yet of course, because we don’t fly home for another nine days - almost long enough for a small tour!  We’re only staying here for one night, and then tomorrow we’re off again for five days before returning for the last three to prepare for the flight.

We’re splurging and staying in the Hôtel Masséna, a Best Western place now. It’s in a great location, a few blocks from the waterfront and the old city.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I make a half-hearted offer to do the laundry this time, but Rachael knows I’ll probably screw it up and takes it on herself again.  Last time!  She suggests instead that I take the camera down to the waterfront to see if I see anything interesting.  Sounds like a pretty good idea, so I take her up on it.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Three angles on a blue chair.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsWhatever it is that's caught their attention, it's clearly something they like.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 27 miles, 600’; for the tour: 2,012 miles, 109,200’

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 2,012 miles (3,238 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Keith AdamsI'm going to miss my daily dose of Team Anderson's adventures!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezWhat memories!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezWe’ve put together a really spectacular string of days. It’s a great way to wind up the journey.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago