The end of the line - The ninth step ... Somewhere in South Africa - CycleBlaze

January 24, 2021

The end of the line

Jeffreys Bay to Port Elizabeth

There's not much to say today.  No great distance to cover and a tail wind predicted so we didn't set an alarm.  We left our lovely accommodation some time after seven o'clock and headed out on the R102.  It was just as narrow and busy as yesterday and it was a relief to reach the N2 after fourteen kilometers.

Then it was a slow grind, in perfectly cool overcast conditions, up the hill from the Gamtoos River to Thornhill.  The wind picked up nicely and the last forty kilometers flew by.

Joining the N2 at Mondplaas, just before the Gamtoos River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the Gamtoos River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Van Stadens River bridge at the western side of Port Elizabeth's municipal area. It was a hotspot for suicides until they built the mesh fencing along the walkway.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are spending the night with Bob and Gail, close friends of ours in whose care our Landrover has been left while we have been gone.  Tomorrow we move into the garden flat at Schoenmakerskop where we were staying last when when this journal was started.  We plan to be there until the end of February before we get on the bicycles again to head somewhere else in South Africa.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 2,317 km (1,439 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingThanks for another great journal Jean-Marc.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomThanks Mike. Hope you enjoyed it and found it useful. We hope to leave again in about a month or so. Not sure to where but obviously, given these times in which we live, it will be through some area in South Africa.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago