A gorgeous ride (to quote Leigh) - The ninth step ... Somewhere in South Africa - CycleBlaze

January 6, 2021

A gorgeous ride (to quote Leigh)

We woke up to a beautiful morning.  Cloud free skies and no wind with a crisp feel to the air.  We were on our bicycles a few minutes before six and before the break of the curfew.  Not that anyone seemed to care.  Robertson's streets were already filled with workers waiting to catch their rides to work in the surrounding vineyards.

The ride to Ashton was a complete contrast to the last few days and we rolled along at a steady clip.  Just after Ashton we turned in a south-easterly direction and the wind started to blow gently but it was never a problem throughout ride.  In fact, it was most welcome in that it kept us cool.

Good road, clear skies, no wind - no complaints.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A snack of strawberries on the outskirts of Ashton.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After turining off the R62 onto the R60 to Swellendam we climb, mostly gently, to the highest point near the halfway mark.  The gentle gradient, good weather and great views made riding a real pleasure.

Last look back into the Robertson Karoo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the sea side of the big climb the agricultural character changed from vineyards to wheat fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Langeberg mountains just west of Swellendam. They have been to the north of us since Worcester and will carry on until we reach George.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the drop down after the halfway mark we had a few steep-ish climbs and, for a short stretch, a very narrow shoulder.  But this didn't dent our enjoyment and we rolled into Swellendam before twelve o'clock with Leigh commenting "That was a gorgeous ride".

One of the attractive old houses in Swellendam.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have a room in a guesthouse on the south-eastern side of town, close to the route through which we will ride to get to the next town of Heidelberg and close to a few restaurants and a supermarket.  It also has a lovely view of the mountains.  Our plan was to have a rest day here and, with the weather forecast suggesting that tomorrow will be very hot, we will stick to that plan.

BIG CHANGE OF PLAN ... AGAIN !!!

Just got word that the wedding we are rushing back to has to be postponed due to the COVID restrictions.  So it seems we are back to our original second plan (if that makes sense) of taking the Tradouw Pass over to Barrydale and the Little Karoo.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,642 km (1,020 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonOK, you’re starting to make a case. This may need to go into the hope chest.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomWith our plans changing back to what they were the Little Karoo is up next so hopefully that can add some persuasion as well.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike AylingGreat to have the wind behind you at last!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Mike AylingHi Mike. We actually had a headwind! But it was
Reply to this comment
3 years ago