Rest Day in Seneca Falls - A Tour of 9 Digits - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2023

Rest Day in Seneca Falls

Women’s Rights National Historical Park, It’s a Wonderful Life Bridge, Ludovico Sculpture Trail

We especially liked the caption on her pocket.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today is a designated rest day. We all slept in. Our Microtel room is very basic and just sufficient…just. In-room coffee but no fridge or microwave. Weak AC. Very marginal continental breakfast. A bit miserly when it comes to extra towels. They are honest about room freshenings-they don’t do them “for both our and their safety.” (A pandemic sequela, I suspect.)

It drizzled all morning but was expected to clear in the afternoon. Not wanting to wait around in our barely sufficient room after the marginal breakfast, we walked up the street and did laundry. It was still raining lightly when we all finished so we donned a bit of rain gear and rode about 2 miles back to Seneca Falls.

First order of business was a good meal which we found at Parker’s Grill and Taphouse. When we came out of the restaurant, the rain had indeed stopped. We walked to the Women’s Rights National Historical Park and spent a couple of hours looking at the exhibits.

Bikes outside Parkers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Us inside Parkers
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Native Americans of New York were WAY ahead of the white men when it came to equal rights.
Heart 2 Comment 0
WAY ahead in everything
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After leaving the Historical Park, we walked back to where we had left the bikes to discover that Jim’s rear tire was flat. Close inspection revealed a bit of glass as the cause.

After changing out the tube, we rode to the It’s a Wonderful Life bridge. Apparently in the early 1900’s, a Good Samaritan died saving someone who jumped off this bridge. The producer of the movie had been through Seneca Falls, heard the story, seen the bridge and worked the story into the movie, which was filmed in California, not here. But the bridge is named and a tourist attraction and there is a It’s a Wonderful Life museum as well as some businesses similarly named to take advantage of the tourists. (Quite honestly, the bridge is nothing special and jumping from it would only be fatal if you could not swim.)

The It’s a Wonderful Life bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rich, enjoying his Wonderful Life
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s a Wonderful View from the bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Ludovico Sculpture trail was just across the bridge. It is essentially an unimproved rail-trail along the canal that runs through town, lined with sculptures, some of famous people, some just artistic. It was a nice little ride out and back on it prior to returning to the Microtel.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The National Women’s Hall of Fame is closed but we rode right by it as we left the Sculpture trail.

It will be quite magnificent when it is done!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow looks like good weather and we are looking forward to a scenic day ride. 

Today's ride: 6 miles (10 km)
Total: 425 miles (684 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI really love this town for the same reasons you do!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago