Rest Day in Hammondsport - A Tour of 9 Digits - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2023

Rest Day in Hammondsport

Laundry, snack, brunch, Glenn H. Curtiss Museum, snack, dinner

View from our door this am
Heart 2 Comment 0

The skies were mostly clear this morning, with puddles our only reminders of last night’s deluge. The temperature was nice too-low to mid-60’s. I had a rough night and stayed in bed until 8; Jim was awake and reading when I finally got up.

After a couple of cup of coffee, we walked into the village square and got our laundry going, then moseyed over to the only bakery, which had just opened. The hours and fare are apparently what ever the owner feels like that day. Today he felt like baking a pan of huge blueberry scones and huge cinnamon rolls. And coffee, of course. Jim and split a scone and I enjoyed more coffee, then we ambled back up to finish our laundry.

We took our time returning our clothes to the motel, then walked back to town for a proper breakfast/brunch, after which we continued our walk through town out to the Glenn H. Curtiss museum.

Wall art in the Ice Creamery where we are breakfast
Heart 1 Comment 0

For those of you unfamiliar, Glenn H. Curtiss was a bicycle and motorcycle racer, an engine expert and aviation pioneer. Born in Hammondsport and raised there and in Rochester, he founded a company that started as a bicycle shop, transformed into a motorcycle manufacturing plant, and eventually became one of the work’s largest aviation companies.

The museum was fantastic. A 1 hour documentary helps to bring the exhibits into historical perspective. We were able to walk around most of the exhibits and really get up close to them. I am including a few pictures to give you a taste but this museum is a must-see if you are in the vicinity!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We all overate again at dinner-the restaurants here are very good. Jim’s plate was so large that even he took 1/2 it to-go. It’s a good thing that we are doing a day ride tomorrow to further explore the area.

Here is another look at our day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZR70OGtgy4

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Mark ErwinCurtiss did well for starting out as a bike mechanic with his own shop...
Reply to this comment
8 months ago