Hybrid Day in Ithaca - A Tour of 9 Digits - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2023

Hybrid Day in Ithaca

Hiking a gorge; finding out why Cornell is not a “biking” campus

In the Cascadilla Gorge
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today we kind of pieced together activities. We walked a bit and we rode a bit, trying to see some of the many interesting sites Ithaca has to offer. Honestly I wish we could spend a few more days here but we leave for Auburn tomorrow.

After breakfast, Amber, Rich and I walked to the Cascadilla Gorge and hiked up the trail while Jim stayed at the hotel to baby his sore feet. The gorge is another one of those almost other-worldly sites; peaceful this time of year because the water is low but it must be astonishing in the spring.  We encountered beautiful cascading falls and quiet ponds; houses on the gorge edges that seem precariously close to tumbling into the gorge during a heavy storm but wow, do they have quite the view!

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We picked up some takeout foods for lunch on our way back to the hotel. After changing into biking clothes, Amber, Jim and I took off on a little ride to view some of the Cornell Botanical Gardens and see some more water features, while Rich stayed back to rest his legs and take a nap. 

First we rode to the Ithaca Falls natural area, where we locked up the bikes and walked in a short distance to view the falls. They are spectacular, even at this time of year.

Ithaca Falls
Heart 5 Comment 0

Then we took off to ride up to Cornell university. It sits on top of a hill that overlooks Ithaca. I studied a biking map last night, trying to find an “easy” way to get up the hill. However, I am not sure such a route exists since every road going up the hill is very steep. So we did what we do- ride up as far as we can and then walk the rest. I know that the grade was over 15% at the point I stopped to catch my breath. There was a couple sitting along the road cheering me on while I was climbing. It is quite clear to me, though, why Cornell is not really a “biking” campus. 

As we entered the university grounds we consulted our map several time and eventually found the botanical gardens. We found some tables and ate our lunch and then wandered about looking at all kinds of interesting plants.

Cornell campus building
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bikes resting at the Botanical Gardens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ouch!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Caster Bean Plant-beautiful but toxic
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Leaving the botanical gardens, we crossed a bridge just below Beebe Lake and got a good look at Triphammer Falls.

Upper portion of falls just below dam, Beebe lake in background
Heart 5 Comment 0
Beebe lake behind dam
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lower portions of Triphammer falls
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Heading back to downtown, riding down the hill was a lot more fun than going up.

Ithaca Courthouse
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ithaca street art
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner this last evening in Ithaca was at The Bickering Twins restaurant-Latin American food and tequila bar. It is a fun place in the basement of an old downtown building. The food and drink were both very good and the service was also good. Highly recommend. 

Today's ride: 7 miles (11 km)
Total: 338 miles (544 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonGreat photos! I really enjoyed bicycling here.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Genny FoxYes, I wish we had a bit more time here.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago