Taos - day off - Big Mountains, Small Towns. - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2022

Taos - day off

Today was the perfect day to have off. It rained steadily all day. Rain puddled in the streets and washed down the roadways. The locals were happy to finally get some moisture. There is hope that the forest fires will be extinguished. 

We slept in, and ate breakfast here at the B&B. They still served homemade granola and egg casserole with green chili on top. The servings were small. Jacinto took the initiatve to ask if we could have seconds tomorrow, when we would need plenty of fuel in the tank for the ride. Yes. We could have second right now, if we liked. 

The rain kept us in all day. We dashed out for lunch at the Grill on the corner. Jacinto and I shared a plate of nachos with chicken and a bowl of green chili. Jacinto and Oren walked to the grocery for supplies to fortify us on our long ride to Chama.

I called the Chili Line Depot to confirm our reservation and ask about food. Google said they were closed today, but they were indeed open. We have had several times this trip that google didn't have the correct info. 

For dinner we planned to eat at the brewery, but they were closed. Instead we returned to Jalapeño Tacos. I ordered fajitas again. The guys both had mole. Today they were busy with several family groups. We thought it would be too loud, and the service slow. We were wrong on both counts.

Oren and I had negotiations on departure time in the morning. It's only 30 miles to Tres Piedras. There's no reason to be in a hurry to get there. It is a necessary way station in order to ride beautiful Highway 64 over Brazos Overlook. 

We have checked virtually every app known for rain and wind. Results vary, but seem to be positive. Oren is going to start with his rain set up, all bags covered. 

In the end, Oren and I agreed on a 7:30 breakfast, departing afterward.

We had a good layover here. We are at the Casa Benevides B&B. It's a charming place to stay. It has several large, well decorated public rooms. We were here once when a wedding ceremony in the courtyard was going on. We had no idea and walked right in! 

I didn't really feel my legs needed a break at this point, but I sure didn't want a layover in Tres Piedras! We have six riding days coming up. Three of them have over 4,000 feet of climbing. I hope we are in the groove, because this section will be the most climbing of the trip.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0