Saint-Emilion Day 2 - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2023

Saint-Emilion Day 2

After yesterdays tasting went a little astray, we asked around the breakfast room this morning on what places other people had gone to. We got a recommendation for Chateaux Franc Mayne and our host rang and organized a tour in English for 11:15. 

With some time to spare Maddie and I started on her bike the Limpet. We had about 30 minutes before our tour so got the frame back together and mudguards (fenders) back on.

As the Chateaux was visible across the vines from our b&b room we walked through the fields to start our tour. 

Chateaux Franc Mayne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chateaux Franc Mayne
Heart 1 Comment 0

The chateaux was beautiful and our tour was joined by a Belgian couple who had spent the night at the chateaux. You can see their vintage Merc in the photo above. 

Our guide told us the history of the vineyard and that it was purchased by the current owners in the last few years. Kathy asked what the purchase price was. 100 Million Euros for 15 acres of prime Saint-Emilion vineyard and the owners have 5 other wine chateaux around France. We quickly did the calculation on their 6000 cases a year of production and decided it was a very rich persons hobby and not a great business opportunity.

Bird bath in the garden at Chateaux Franc Mayne
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oak and stainless steel vats for aging the wine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our small tour group with our guide.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Table and chair carved from a very large tree.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inside the quarry used as the cask storage and aging space.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wine!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A green oak tree used as the symbol on their wine label.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View across the vineyard to the lower valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the out buildings on the Chateaux.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After our great wine tour and tasting we walked into town for some lunch and then a tour of the under ground church. You have to be on a tour to see the underground church and the attached buildings as they were all sold off to private owners during the French revolution. 

Waiting for our tour of the underground church
Heart 1 Comment 0

After touring the church we walked back to the b&b. We continued setting up Maddie's bike and put ours together again. We then did a quick test ride around the vineyard and called it good.

Our b&b host booked us a dinner at Chai Pascal for the evening and we had an excellent dinner while the rain came down. By the time we were finished so had the rain and we had a beautiful evening walk around the old town.

Today's ride: 1 mile (2 km)
Total: 1 mile (2 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0