Le Tetra to Cognac - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2023

Le Tetra to Cognac

Well how quickly things can change. I got a cold when we first landed in France. I am now over it but obviously did not take enough precautions to keep Kathy safe from it and she went down hard at the end of dinner last night. She had a rough night with little sleep and a lot of being sick. By morning she was in no condition to ride.

We quickly considered our options and decided that Maddie and I would ride to Cognac and pick a rental van and come back and pick up Kathy and our gear and move on to Cognac. As we discussed this plan with our host she offered to drive us into Cognac. This sounded like a good option because if we rode we probable would not have made it before the rental agency closed for lunch at 12 and therefore we would have to wait until 2pm for it to open again. 

Well good plans have a way of unraveling and this was only a medium plan and it indeed unraveled. Our host decided she had to run an errand before we left and then by the time she got back combined with the rental agency publishing 2 different address and us going to the wrong one first we only just made it before the 12 o'clock closing time. Then to get back to our B&B I clicked on the address in booking.com and followed the directions only to end up at what the map thought was our destination but it was in fact 25 minutes drive away.

We eventually made it to our accommodation in Cognac found a parking spot directly out the front and got Kathy installed in bed to do some more sleeping and hopefully get better and able to ride tomorrow.

Maddie and I did a quick trip to the grocery store to get some supplies for Kathy and riding tomorrow and then headed out into Cognac.

We found our way towards the center of town blocked by a chocolate shop that just had to be sampled. 

Excelent chocolate shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a couple of delicious chocolates we moved on to the Martell Cognac house and toured around their factory display. We had the placed to ourselves and wandered around the displays and production areas. We kept waiting for someone to tell us we should not be in this area but no one ever did so we happily kept exploring the whole area.

Entrance to Martell
Heart 0 Comment 0
Display of old cognac storage
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barrel storage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aging vats
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second row of aging vats
Heart 0 Comment 0
Martel exhibition space
Heart 1 Comment 0

After looking around Martell we had worked up a thirst for this famous beverage and what better place to try it than the Martell rooftop bar looking over the beautiful downtown area of Cognac.

Martel foundation building with Indigo bar on the roof
Heart 1 Comment 0
La Sorbonne cocktail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Maddie enjoying the warm afternoon and a Martell cocktail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Martel flag flying over indigo bar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0