Amboise - Rest day - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2023

Amboise - Rest day

Today was a rest day. A day just to stroll and hang out in one place. I have been to Amboise before and wanted to visit The Los Luce, Leonardo da Vinci's house again. There is also the Amboise castle but again there are only so many castle you can visit.

 After a leisurely morning breakfast we set off to stroll through the shops and up to the Los Luce. Amboise is a very tourist town and we passed the usually collection of restaurants around the bottom of the castle but we also window shopped a boucherie with a window full of prepared meals and a upmarket fruit shop. These both got flagged for a stop on the way back to get some goodies for dinner.

The Los Luce was very interesting with many displays about Leonardos da Vinci's inventions and art. In the beautiful park surrounding the house they had recreated some of his inventions from his sketches. I was straight into engineering mode and Kathy and Maddie were very patient with me as we walked around the various contraptions. I was obviously too interested in the machines as I forgot to take photos except of the tank Maddie tried to roll away in.

Clos Luce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leonardo's bedroom. Not his actual bed just and example from the time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sea horse creatures around the top of the bed to lull you to sleep at night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grumpy cherub looking out from the bed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peacock strolling the park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddie slowing disappearing in a model of Leonardo's tank now converted into a children's merry go round.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As promised we stopped in at the butchers and fruit shop on the way home and stocked up on supplies for a dinner at home. We picked up cherries, apricots, a pineapple, lasagna, cheese and of course bread. The fruit was expensive but absolutely delicious and well worth the cost.

Our evening was finished off watching a PBS series about Marie Antoinette the last Queen of France. Part of it was set in Fontainebleau, one of the places we are visiting latter. It was good to see what life would have been like in the Chateaux we are visiting.

Local goat cheese we had for dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0