Dades Gorge to N'kob - Three, Two, One....Tour - CycleBlaze

March 8, 2023

Dades Gorge to N'kob

Today was the hardest day of the tour – almost 40 miles and over 3300 ft of climbing. And, after a blissful few days in the mid-70s, afternoon temperatures were predicted to rise to the mid-80s, reaching into the 90s later in the week. In the end, though, it was a fantastic day of challenges met, rewards savored, and new friendships formed. 

Before cycling, though, we had a short transfer in the van that included a brief stop at an overlook. offering an expansive view of Boumaine Dades strung along the Dades River.

Morning view from the hotel terrace
Heart 9 Comment 0
A look in the other direction
Heart 7 Comment 0
Boumaine Dades, from an overlook across the river
Heart 4 Comment 0
Thumbs up from the trinket salesmen at the Boumaine Dades overlook
Heart 6 Comment 0

Soon we were on the bikes, facing fourteen uphill miles on dirt/gravel/tarmac before reaching the Tizi-n-Tazazert Pass at 7,572 ft. The route started on gravel, gently ascending through shimmering almond trees and ever smaller villages. We had a short water stop supplemented with figs and nuts and then the serious climbing began – three miles of ever steepening switchbacks on gravel, followed by a second three miles on tarmac reached to the summit.

It was tough going, but with a couple of photo/rest stops I made it through the series of switchbacks and had about a mile to go before reaching the tarmac. Suddenly, I saw Frank approaching  on Beata’s eBike. They had reached tarmac, where she waited while he came to give me an E-assist. Wow! And what an assist it was – a little push of the pedal and I just cruised up the hillside, greeting Beata with a big smile and hearty thank you. 

Frank soon joined us on my bike and we played musical bikes for the remainder of the ride to the summit – with Beata and me riding both the eBike and my bike over the next three miles and Frank doing double duty to facilitate the exchange. Finally, we were all at the top, sipping mint tea at the Auberge Tiza Café & Restaurant, savoring our achievement, sharing stories, and enjoying splendid views of the Jbel Sagbro range.

White peaks and almond blossoms
Heart 9 Comment 0
Starting off on the big climb of the day
Heart 7 Comment 0
Winding towards the top
Heart 5 Comment 0
Feeling great!
Heart 9 Comment 4
Mike AylingWhat is referred to by the e-bike conversion shop that I used as the e-bike grin! A little e-assist certainly helps older legs on the hills.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterStill using just my own power here, but I love “e-bike grin”expression!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsFeeling good, LOOKING good!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Keith AdamsThanks Keith!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Even the sheep are shimmering in the morning light
Heart 6 Comment 0
No matter how small, most Berber villages have a mosque and brightly painted school
Heart 6 Comment 0
A nice spot for dates, nuts and a short rest
Heart 5 Comment 0
The more serious climbing begins
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThat looks steep even in the photo. Knowing that pictures generally don't do justice to a slope it must've been gnarly indeed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A look back, and a chance for a brief rest
Heart 5 Comment 0
Switchbacks
Heart 8 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWow, that looks super tough!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Here comes Frank, riding my bike after giving me an eAssist
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat’s a clever idea he came up with. I think I’m going to skip bicycling there.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Beate and Frank, ready to pass off my bike while I return Beate's eBike
Heart 5 Comment 0
Taking a broad look from the road to the top - our support van is barely visible, dwarfed by the expanse and distance
Heart 5 Comment 0
View from 2300 meters
Heart 5 Comment 1
Happy cyclists at the top - Jerod, Susan and Frank
Heart 6 Comment 0
Lead guide Lachem loves to tell stories, with Hal is content to just take it all in
Heart 3 Comment 0
My heroes, Beata and Frank - a German couple from near Münster. Both kind, thoughtful adventurous. They've known Bekah and Hal since meeting years ago in Zambia and the four of them have taken several holidays together
Heart 6 Comment 1
Lucy MartinSo kind—just like you, Susan.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I dare say that the euphoria of reaching the summit was surpassed by the joy of the descent – a12 km downhill on smooth tarmac that gently wound through the starkly beautiful Jbel Sagbro range. And there were no cars – I recall only a single vehicle, one that passed from the opposite direction. Once down the mountain, we stopped for a picnic lunch prepared by the crew – a refreshing Moroccan salad of chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and peppers with corn, olives, oranges, and avocadoes – served with mint tea and bread in a small, one-room building cooled by thick earthen walls. We lounged on cushions and pillows, relaxed, sated and happy.

The last fifteen miles were went quickly – mostly flat with a bit of fundulating all the way to the oasis city of N’kob, home to 45 kasbahs. There was an arranged stop at a gas station/market on the edge of town where I managed to gulp down an orange soda and a poor imitation of a nutty-putty – some of my touring favorites that I’d been missing the last few days. Then it was off the hotel where a poolside glass of mint tea was delivered before our room key.

Ready, set, downhill!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonFundulating! What a great word!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Down through the Jbel Sagbro range
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Jbel Sagbro Range
Heart 4 Comment 0
Still descending
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leveling out
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our lunch spot was in a small room off this square
Heart 4 Comment 0
Mint tea, courtesy of Lachem and the crew
Heart 4 Comment 2
Betsy EvansThis looks like a great trip! What tour company is organizing? I did a trip with Intrepid in Myanmar in late 2019, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was super impressed, and made some good new friends.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Betsy EvansHi Betsy - the company is Spice Roads. It’s my second trip with them and several in the group had also traveled with the in SE Asia
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The long, lonely road to N'Kob
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heading to N'Kob
Heart 7 Comment 0
N'kob
Heart 2 Comment 0

As regular readers of CycleBlaze might know, I am in Morocco at the same time at Racpat, also known as Rachael and Patrick. We’d been in touch since their plans were revealed months ago, wondering if there would be a chance for a meet-up. Though we would be oh so close, the chance of getting together seemed a bit slim as my plans were fixed and they had a ferry to catch. As fortune would have it, the stars aligned and we are both in N’kob tonight. And after a couple of poolside emails over mint tea, we arranged to meet at my hotel at 6:30.

 Racpat rolled into the hotel courtyard and we all shared big smiles and hugs. After deciding to stay at my hotel for dinner, we retreated to the terrace and exchanged Moroccan stories while flipping through the pictures of my tour to date. Conversation flowed easily as we moved from the terrace to the dining table, transforming an online bond into a real-life friendship. It was over much too quickly, and we departed looking forward to our next encounter – in Boise or somewhere on the road ahead. Safe travels, Racpat.

Racpat arrives
Heart 9 Comment 3
Rachel and Patrick HugensFantastic meeting you. See you in Boise
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lucy MartinI love a good crossover episode!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonHow wonderful it worked out for a meetup!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another warm and wonderful CycleBlaze meet-up
Heart 9 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSusan
If you have a chance to visit them in Boise, I highly recommend it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachel and Patrick HugensGreat description of the day
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 96 miles (154 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWhat a fantastic day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesType your comment here
Reply to this comment
1 year ago