White Asparagus - 2 Good Blokes get lost in Europe - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2023

White Asparagus

Monteneaux to Dijon

My miserable rocks scissors paper form that plagued me over the entirety of the Victorian trip last year has reared it’s ugly head again. Our lovely hosts from last night brought out a Weiss beer and a Pils so rocks scissors paper it was to get the pick. Best of five draws don’t count. John’s a novice D grader from Queensland. Should have been a doddle. I lost three straight. Odds of 27:1 of that happening. I hate Pils.


We’ve got plenty of ground to make up if I’m to get to Pringins in Switzerland by Tuesday to stay with Gabor and Eniko for a few days.  Orange Mobile and the ‘Steve’ incident has thrown us well behind schedule.

The first 75ks flew past effortlessly possibly because we were on the train to Dijon. It’s forecast to be wet and miserable all day so this seemed the sensible option. 

Peak hour in Monteneaux
Heart 5 Comment 0

We were in Dijon by lunchtime and headed to centre ville and immediately get seduced by the fresh produce market Les Halles. We had decided to cook in tonight, but it’s a rushed shopping excursion as the vendors were closing down and keen to join their mates at the central bar which was already lively. We’re in Burgundy so a we’re having a Domaines Les Guignottes Santenay from a region very near to Dijon.

The old centre of Dijon is beautiful but I failed take any photos for some odd reason. I think I was drooling over the white asparagus I had bought. Anyway, in the famous words of Adam Bandt “google it mate”.

Heart 5 Comment 0

We had a lazy afternoon before cooking up our saucisson, white asparagus potatoes and beans and rounded the evening off with a protracted ‘story of the day’. My mate Ray started me on this whilst on bike trips. Every day you tell a story; short, long, funny or serious. It helps pass the time if nothing else.

Heart 8 Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonWhere are the mushrooms?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyWe cooked them for breakfast along with the half kilo of beans left over from dinner
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooLooks like an excellent meal.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Tomorrow we’re back on the road for 1 more flat day before the hills beckon.

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 189 km (117 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Matthew HealeyLoving the blog, the first day sounded a bit frustrating! Train sounded like a good option, particularly with the weather so cold. Hope you managed a ticket this time! Dinner looked delicious although didn’t spot any of the Dijon moutarde. Enjoy. Cathie xx
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyTo Matthew HealeyYep. Tough first day. All good since but cold! Too cold to camp. Got caught in a thunderstorm today but so beautiful. Very quiet roads on a Sunday. Just hovered down a pizza that tasted so good! Hope our well!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rosie WindsorYeh! Enjoying my morning read of your trip! Love it. Think a rating of croissants would be good too!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyI’ve been getting into the pain au chocolat. Already had 2 this morning! It’s hard to rate them as so far they’ve all scored ten.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago