We thought we’d catch a train - 2 Good Blokes get lost in Europe - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2023

We thought we’d catch a train

Pontremoli to Lucca

We’d always planned on a rest day mid Italian venture, and with another horrendous weather forecast we decided to jump on a train and head to a bigger town for the day. With only 1 change we got to Lucca before lunch. The highlight of the morning was in the waiting  room of the Pontremoli railway station where I spied something on the floor, took another look, turned around and picked up a folded 100 Euro note! Thanks for coming! That beats the folded $50 note I found in Albury on our Melbourne trip.

We chose a bar with a bicycle theme, just because we could.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Watching the weather on TV.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Lucca is a great town. It has a walled old town and you can walk or ride a 4 kilometre ring around the town on top of the wall which accounted for most of our kilometres today. As it turns out the weather wasn’t as bad as forecast with only intermittent showers but not far from us towns were flooding.

Heart 5 Comment 0
John's neck gets a solid workout
Heart 1 Comment 0

The afternoon was taken up with doing some washing, having a quiet ale and trying to find a good venue for the return leg of the Milan derby in the Champions League. In the end we found a great place on the advice of a guy we met and booked a table, had pizza with a packed crowd of locals equally split between Inter Milan and AC Milan. And the $100 Euro note paid for the lot!

What!! You put the dirty clothes in, go and have a beer, come back and this contraption cleans them whilst you’re away? You’re kidding me!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 1,444 km (897 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0