Getting Closer!: 5 weeks to go until I'm officially retired - yikes! - 2 For the Road - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2017

Getting Closer!: 5 weeks to go until I'm officially retired - yikes!

As we inch closer to our date to begin this tour, time seems to be moving faster with each new day. I am still teaching, but trying to clear out my classroom at the same time and writing my last set of report cards ever - hurray for that!

In addition, we are busy at home giving away or selling most of our belongings. As we plan to cycle for 6 months of the year for as long as we can stand it, it doesn't make sense to keep a bunch of furniture in storage. I can't see us coming home and taking it all out only to repack it in another 6 months and we don't want to pay for somewhere we won't be living in while we are away. Hence the purging of all unnecessary items from our lives. It's been very freeing, I've got to say, but also unnerving to know we won't officially "live" anywhere for a while! However, having read many journals  over the past year, of people who have done just that, we are confident in our decision and excited to get this show on the road!

At the end of April, we enjoyed a lovely weekend on Lopez Island in Washington. They put on the Tour de Lopez every year and we have participated with a group of friends for several years. This year my brother, Mike, joined us for the ride and his wife Leslie came up to spend the weekend with us all - a wonderful time, even if the ride was so cold we had to forgo the beer garden at the end.

Our group of riders. From left to right, my brother Mike, our friend Cary, myself and Jim. We will also be participating in the annual Seattle to Portland bike ride in July. Jim and I will be on our tour by then and will make this part of it. Luckily for us, Leslie is going to drive down to meet up with Mike so we can send our gear down in her car, leaving us to ride our heavy touring bikes along with all those speedy riders!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lopez is a beautiful little island, part of the San Juan chain. The hills aren't too steep, just a lovely place to ride. About 30 miles in total for this day.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekGreat photo! Lopez is delightful to cycle.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Ron SuchanekYes, we love it! Even in the rain, which we've had the past couple of years. Only problem with rain is the beer garden is not so very appealing!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
An interesting old truck. Always a good chance to stop and catch my breath when I spot something like this!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Jim created a little video of our trip

Here's the group at the beginning of the day. Ready for a ride!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0