In Tucson: San Xavier Mission - Looking Back With 2020 Vision, Part I - CycleBlaze

February 7, 2020

In Tucson: San Xavier Mission

Well, I was thinking I wouldn’t post today’s ride, but why stop now?  We might as well at least take credit for the miles.  And, we wouldn’t want to forget what fun it was to blow the fuses at our new Airbnb this morning, while it was only about 28 degrees out.  Apparently it didn’t work well to run two space heaters, the coffee pot and the microwave at the same time, all on the same circuit.  

After looking in futility for the circuit breaker box we called our host, who directed us outside.  I’m staring at five boxes, and our host is only vaguely familiar with them.  Shivering in the freezing morning, I try everything at all reasonable without success, hoping that I’m not blacking out the neighbors in the process.  We call the host back, he says help is in the way, and we wait shivering for another ten minutes before finally driving off to the nearest Starbucks.  Two hours later we’re back, and help has finally just arrived.

But back to the ride.  By eleven it has warmed up enough to hop on the bikes, and we head southwest to San Xavier Del Bac Mission, one of the more impressive historical sights in the basin and a major tourist destination.  It’s a ride we’ve taken before, having come this way when we left Tucson three years ago on our ride to Tubac.  It was in the middle of a heat wave then, and topped out at 93.

We bike the loop for the first half of the way to the mission, following the east bank of the Santa Cruz River.  We’re riding the opposite bank of the river than we followed on our ride to Saguaro NP about two weeks ago.  It feels completely different on this bank, impressing us once again with the variety available cycling the various parts of the loop.

A few miles into the ride,I’m arrested by a flash of red crossing the road ahead.  I stop of course, thinking at first it could be a male Arizona cardinal; but it’s just another vermillion flycatcher.  Perhaps it’s even the same bird I saw last time, just on the other bank of the river.

Progress is slow for the next few miles, as I keep getting distracted and attracted by ground squirrels zipping across the ground on either side.  I just get brief looks and then they’re gone, almost like having floaters on your eyes.  A frustrating photography subject, almost as bad as birds.

About halfway to the mission this leg of the loop ends at Valencia Boulevard, a busy, unattractive four lane highway that at least has a fine, wide shoulder.  Two miles later we turn off onto much smaller Mission Road, a narrow, shoulderless two lane road that carries enough traffic that we wish we were still on Valencia.  By the time we make it to the mission, we drop our plans to keep riding further south on this road.

We stop for lunch at the mission, looking around a bit but not a lot because we’re short on time, and then head back toward town.  We overshoot our turnoff into town by about five miles, continuing north on the Loop for as far as we can fit in and still get back to the room in time for our dinner reservation.  

Fortunately we find the power still on when we get back to our room, and rush through a pair of showers before racing off to dinner at El Charro Cafe, the restaurant we enjoyed earlier.  It’s a good thing we made a reservation, too - it’s Gem Week, the town is awash in tourists, and folks have been waiting in line outside at the restaurant for an hour when we arrive to claim our table.

Yup, just another vermillion flycatcher. Ho, hum. Maybe after I see a few dozen of these I’ll get jaded, but not yet.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltIf you want a cardinal, there are plenty here in Ohio! :-)

Yeah, I'd like to see one of those fly catchers too. Spectacular! Your subtle humor was not wasted.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanWouldn't "jaded" be more of a green color? Oh,sorry, you said you will get jaded. I see now.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnJaded by vermillion? Never!

I challenge you to get a photo of one catching a fly.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Southbound on the Loop, this time on the West Bank of the Santa Cruz wash. Last time we were on the east bank trail, visible on the left. It feels quite different on this side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These little guys (round tailed ground squirrels, according to my expert source) are everywhere. Hard to get a picture of them though - you see them dash across the dirt just before diving in a hole, but they seldom stay put long enough to get a reasonable look at them.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltYou notice, when they stop, it is usually right at the entrance to their burrow?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltYup. And they disappear in an instant.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Continuing south on the loop. This is another section that feels different than anywhere else on the network. Great cycling resource.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oh, another one that stayed put!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnLooks like he's hollering over to his friend,

"Hey Dave! You gotta come over here and check out these 2-wheeled humans!"
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Looking across the Santa Cruz wash toward Tucson and Mount Lemmon. We see you out there taunting us, big guy. Saturday!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching San Xavier Del Bac Mission. Don’t you think this looks like an attractive cycling road? No? We didn’t either. We planned to continue on for another five or ten miles but decided to turn back at the mission.
Heart 2 Comment 0
San Xavier Del Bac Mission.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Vendors row. Plan ahead, and save room for some fry bread.
Heart 3 Comment 0
San Xavier Del Bac Mission.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekWe went to the mission during our Tucson stay in 2018. Impressive. We rented a car, though, and didn't see many roads that looked bike friendly out that direction.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekNo, you’re right. We came this way three years ago on a too-long ride to Tupac, and I can’t say I enjoyed the experience much: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/tucson16/to-tubac/. But then, it was In the middle of a heat wave, I got sick, and we got a flat. We didn’t find the riding all that attractive until we rounded the corner at Nogales and headed up the east side of the mountains.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
On the rise behind the mission. If I have my bearings right here, we’re looking southeast toward the Santa Rita Mountains. Or then again, maybe it’s just Mount Lemmon crowding into the frame again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
San Xavier Del Bac Mission.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are a lot of sleepy dogs lying around carpeting the plaza at the mission.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just riding for a change, we stashed the camera and biked straight for the next 20 miles. A mile from home though we found a mural that we couldn’t pass up.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Which one are you, Rocky asks after quickly claiming the jack rabbit for herself. Lovely - I get to choose between being a wart hog or a desert tortoise.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesDodie is always the tortoise. Slow but steady and persistent.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnI'm with Dodie. I'm retired and would prefer to just take my time.

Based on the expressions of each on the mural, though, I don't think you could go wrong with any choice. They're all clearly having a grand ol' time.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 40 miles,800’; for the tour: 1,660 miles, 78,700’

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,660 miles (2,672 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraGood luck climbing Lemmon. Hope it's not too cold at the top!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks! Just leaving now, so check back. We’ve got as fine a day as we could hope for today, with a high on the basin floor of 74. It’s today or not at all - snow in the mountains is forecast for tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago