In Kingman: a hike to Castle Rock - Looking Back With 2020 Vision, Part I - CycleBlaze

January 16, 2020

In Kingman: a hike to Castle Rock

This is another of those days where we go back and forth trying to decide what to do.  We’re leaving Kingman this morning for the 200 mile drive down to Tempe, but we have to time to fit in an activity before we leave the area.  One good candidate is to bike on Route 66 again, this time out east of town on the attractive looking stretch between Hackberry and Peach Springs.  If we come down this way again some year I’d like to do that ride, if only for the names.

We nix the bike ride though for several reasons - it’s in the wrong direction and would lengthen an already long day; our butts are still mad at us for putting them through that rough ride across Sacramento Wash yesterday; but mostly we’re deterred by the wind forecast, which indicates that we’d be facing a few hours of strong headwinds in the afternoon.

Instead, Rachael has done her research and found a hike for us that starts just a few miles from town.  It’s a beaut, too.  We enjoy a ten mile walk through Mohave Desert country (we’re right at the eastern edge of this huge desert) and into the foothills that rise just north of Kingman.  Totally secluded.  We see one other hiker walking his two dogs about twenty minutes into the hike, but after that we don’t see another human before returning to the car almost four hours later.

We see plenty else though - soaring ravens, a rabbit scrambling across a slope on the opposite side of a wash, and Rachael’s sure she saw a family of deer that peeked over the top of the ridge behind us but disappeared before I could turn my head.

Mostly though, we see the land and the vegetation.  It’s a rocky walk, across volcanic land that reminds me of hiking in central Oregon except that here we’re walking through prickly pear and cholla instead of sagebrush.  Expansive views west to the Black Mountains.  Very peaceful, very beautiful.  We keep being attracted by some new cactus or juniper snag that seems just a bit different than all the rest.  An excellent day.

We get back to the car at three, just in time.  After ten miles of rough trail my knees are starting to complain a bit and I’m developing a blister - I should have stopped to get some grit out of my shoes earlier than I did.  Three and a half hours of high-speed highway driving later we’re in Tempe sitting down to a fine meal, looking forward to staying here for the next four nights before moving on to Tucson.

Setting out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As usual, I lag behind to stare at some irresistible cactus.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These guys are really sweet, and surprisingly colorful. And some of them have indents at the end of their blades, giving them a heart shaped look. Valentine cactus.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltDon't let the smooth look of a beavertail cactus fool you! It is full of millions of irritating barbed spines! Each tiny wart on every pad is packed full of them. They are tiny and difficult to remove. I found out as a 10 year old when we moved to Mojave... the hard way.

https://www.desertusa.com/flowers/beavertail-cactus.html
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
I think I came back with thirty photographs of this cactus. I’ll spare you though, and just show you a few.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Same plant. It takes on many different colors - a surprisingly broad spectrum. Attractive dead or alive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I took more than a few lichen shots too. I liked this one the best.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI find lichens quite interesting! The variety on a single rock is mind boggling. Like yours, my photos include a lot of lichen shots.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
There’s that valentine cactus again. As we climb, prickly pear has gradually become the dominant plant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We see a few of these here and there too. Like the cacti and lichen, it’s another example where each instance seems unique and worthy of your attention.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And another.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I’m not sure what it is though. It feels like a juniper, but I don’t remember seeing junipers with long, straight greenery like this. What is this?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like crucifixion thorn.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/95110/#b
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltHey, nice job! I see that there’s more than one species that is called a crucifixion thorn, but this one looks like a Canotia. I’m glad I found one with its seed pods still present.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
More of the same. Oddly enough, we aren’t getting bored by it. That’s the great thing about hiking - it opens up your senses and you can really get in tune with the beauty of quiet scenes like this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Train car cactus.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltIt is some species of prickly pear (genus Opuntia) and possibly Opuntia macrorhiza, but I am not sure. According to the site below, there are about 90 species...

https://www.opuntiads.com/
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltI thought of trying to identify some of the prickly pear here - there were at least three different ones - but decided I’d just embarrass myself. Nice to be able to identify the beaver tail cactus now though.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
See-thru cholla.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view west to the Black Mountains. It’s faint, but if you look closely you can see Thimble Peak and the gap of Sitgreaves Pass. Hey, it just occurred to me that this pass might be pronounced as sit-graves. Maybe that’s why a cemetery was developed there?
Heart 0 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe to make digging less, they buried them in sitting position? :-)

Actually, Lorenzo was honored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitgreaves_Pass
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
James FitchMaybe it's just misspelled -- should be Sit-grieves Pass.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltSounds like the good captain was well named. He led a pretty grievous expedition.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo James FitchExcellent theory. Wish I’d thought of it myself.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Nearing the high point of the hike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castle Rock, we believe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castle Rock
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castle Rock
Heart 0 Comment 0
The long walk back to the car. Kingman is sprawled along the valley floor below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This plant just keeps insisting in slipping in here. This one looks quite different than all the others though, don’t you think?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spines and lichen.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSome species of hedgehog cactus (genus Echinocereus ). Closest I can come is "dead."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinocereus
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltAnother one that’s nice to know. I should be able to remember hedgehog. I’m seeing quite a few of these, some even still alive.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Another plant that seemed worth including. The photo doesn’t quite show though how radiant it looked with the sunlight streaking through it.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be rabbitbrush. But this time of year all the little bushes look so much alike it is hard to tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysothamnus
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
I think that’s Hualapai Mountain, across the basin from Kingman.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Nissan Parhfinder, aka the Blue Whale. I’m thinking of submitting this photo to Nissan for use in one of their advertisements.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0