Nimes to Uzès - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 24, 2018

Nimes to Uzès

Now that was a windy day

You could hear the wind  whistling between the buildings most of the night. Pat informed me that the Weathernetwork was reporting  wind gusts of over 65kms from the north by the time we will reach Uzès this afternoon.  Although today  covers only a short distance it may become  a tough ride...

The wind was very apparent as we left our hotel to gather our bikes from the parking facility just down the block. Although it is a warm feeling wind, we have both  added an extra layer today. We decided to shop at a patisserie on the way out but unbelievably!! we did not come across one on any of the busier roads that ring the old town. So, we had to make a detour into the old part of the city and found ourselves back at the market where we had lunch yesterday. Pat picked up some sandwiches and other goodies and we were finally on our way.

Route planning  always makes so much sense, and seems so logical when you see it on your device but  the execution is seldom so simple in practice. After a few false starts we found ourselves on the fairly busy D928 Route d'Arles and a few kilometres later happily turned off onto the less travelled D418 Route de Russan. This road wound its way up into the vacant hills with signs on both sides of the road warning you that it is military land and you risk "mort" should you decide to go exploring!  We saw few cars or people as we rode along into a fairly strong headwind. The scenery was lovely and the low level trees throughout the countryside are quite beautiful. We noticed that we needed to pedal down the hills as the wind was taking away what would be a normal coast - but still easier than the ups!

We crossed over the Gardon River just before Russan and  stopped at Chez Cathy for a coffee. It was a busy little diner but they did not make the cappuccino that Pat likes, so we carried on.   With no other coffee shop in town, we ended up taking shelter from the wind in a bus stop enclosure  while we enjoyed our snack. The sun was shining directly upon us and it was nice and warm.

Leaving Russan we followed signs to Uzes missing our planned road and found ourselves on a main artery D22 which runs through farm land and heads in abit of a northerly and easterly direction. The wind really picked up over the open farmland  and was hitting us in front and at times on the side with big gusts. At times it was like you would lean side ways into the wind to offset its force. But the worst was when a semi truck passed and the vortex created left us scrambling to control the loaded bikes. Fortunately there were only a few of these but the ride was becoming a real struggle as we counted off the last kilometres to Uzès.

We had thought about going to our hotel, leaving our panniers and riding on to Pont du Gard but the wind was too fierce even without a load to enjoy the ride. We elected instead to see Uzès on our bikes  and we both thought that was a great decision as it is a wonderful medievil town. Using our bikes we were able to see most of the town and we rode the short distance back to our hotel after a nice dinner. It was very dark by then but we had our lights to keep us visable. There are no pictues of our ride today (blame that on the windy conditions)only of Uzes.

The Cathedral, Saint Théodorit d’Uzès, was first built in 1090, but rebuilt in the 17th Century. The only part remaining from Medieval times is the bell tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer look at the Tour Fenestrelle. The sole example in France of a round bell tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat surveying the valley below. Much of our ride was through vegetation similar to this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Skyline of Uzes in afternoon sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uzès, like many Medieval towns, was built in a circle around the Duchy d’Uzès or the Duke’s Castle. You can go inside for an 18 euro fee. The family has occupied the castle for the most part of the last 1,000 years!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of one tower. I wanted to show the flag standing straight out in the wind more clearly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of cute buildings and shops in this town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scott at the fountain in Places aux Herbes, which is the main square in the centre of town. This is where the market is held on Saturday mornings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Much more interesting than Scott. A girl with a stick trying her best not to fall in the fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pat and Prudence also in Places aux Herbes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat outside a real locals bar. Still blustery and lots of leaves on the ground. Note the staircase at the back of the bar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is a closer picture of the staircase. Now look at the top of the stairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This the room at the top of the stairs. Quite plain, it is known as a PMU, which stands for the French state controlled betting organization, otherwise known as the betting shop! You pick your horse and place your bets here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 897 km (557 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe learned early on in our trips to France to avoid the 900 level D roads, the lower numbers are much better, although you also can hit some busy ones . Isn't riding into the Mistral great?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago