L'Île-Rousse to Calvi - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2018

L'Île-Rousse to Calvi

A day in the hilltop villages ends with tube problems

It was a lovely warm morning as we prepared to leave l'ile Rousse. We went to retrieve  our bikes and the lady assisting us announced it was just like summer. The weather was perfect. As we wheeled our bikes out of the storage area, I noticed Pat's rear wheel  was looking a little flat. A quick pump up and we were on our way to see the local lighthouse and then to pick up some lunch on our way out of town.

Light house in L'Île-Rousse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a route out of town that avoided the highway traffic and soon we were on a quiet country road as we climbed into the hills. Pat's rear wheel was not holding air so we stopped at a lookout not far out of town to complete a tube change. Simple enough, but I must have pinched the new tube when putting it in and now needed to patch the tube to carry on. This did not go well  as I had a hard time getting the patch to seal fully.  But eventually  we were back on the road enjoying the small hilltop villages along the way. This was a most enjoyable ride  up in the hills of Corsica with great views below and pretty little villages scattered about on the hillsides.

Looking back down at l'ile Rousse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pietralta.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a snack break at Pigna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church in Pigna. Église De L'immaculée Conception.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another village in the shadows. The clouds that would come and go were a nice break from the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more shot.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then, all of a sudden Scott's rear tire went  completely flat. Having no more usable new tubes, this one also needed a patch. I again experienced a problem getting  the patch to adhere to the tube. I began suspecting the glue may be old or just poor quality. Or perhaps my roadside patching technique was just not up to snuff? In fact, a single flat was a rarity on all our previous tours  and now we had had two in the same day. Unfortunately this would not be the end of our tube issues. 

Our lunch stop high in the hills looking out over the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

With about 16 downhill kilometres from our destination of Calvi, the patched tube on Scott's rear wheel  failed again. We now had few patches left and it was becoming nearly impossible to seal a patch sufficiently. A last attempt held for another six kilometers and again began leaking.  At this point some passing motorists asked if they could help and Scott accepted a lift with his bike into Calvi. Pat continued the last ten kilometres by herself and met him at the hotel. In all, tire repairs took three hours of our day and it was after six when Pat arrived.

This cow was keeping a watchful eye on us as we worked on Scott's bike. Luckily she was up a steep embankment so wasn't able to check Scott's work.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fortunately, according to an internet search Calvi had three bike shops located close by. Fingers crossed that tomorrow, Sunday, we would be able to purchase new 20 inch tubes with presta valves.

With all the mechanical issues, we reached Calvi fairly late in the day. After  getting cleaned up we explored a bit of the town and found the Le Nautic restaurant on the waterfront. Their menu offered one kilo pots of fresh mussels in a wine, garlic and onion broth. YUM!! We combined these tasty delights with a tomato and mozzarella salad and ate until we were stuffed. The mussel pot seemed to have no bottom. We very much enjoyed our evening and returned to our hotel. Wireless is again a bit of an issue here as well.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 636 km (395 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonOh, my gosh. What terrible luck with your tires! I wonder if you’re picking up thorns in the dry interior. Good luck on finding suitable tube replacements - that’s something that always worries me with the Fridays too.

On the plus side though, isn’t the Corsican interior wonderful? The whole island is really, but I really loved those villages in the north. And the coast ride from Calvi to Porto. It may be my favorite coast ride anywhere.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago