Galeria to Porto - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2018

Galeria to Porto

Twisty turny road with amazing vistas

Today the weather was a bit cloudy but the morning was warm and we had our breakfast on the patio. The sun had just begun to clear the local hills by 08:30 am. Our breakfast was typical of many that we have had lately, very fresh croissants and a baguette with local jams, orange juice and coffee. Pat is craving eggs but no luck today. We organized our gear and were on the road to Porto by 09:30. There were not many towns between Galeria and Porto but the scenery was impressive!

Our route took us back along the road by the water, and we stopped at the local belangerie for today's  sandwiches and treats.  We rode along D351 for about five kilometres before turning on to D81 where the road began to climb to slightly more than 400 metres in elevation. Initially, the grade was worrisome for Pat as it required some 1 and 1, but things soon levelled out and the grade and temperatures were very nice.    We rode along, frequently side by each as the car traffic was minimal. We were enjoying the ride and stopping at the car look outs to take in the valley views. At the first look out a man who was interested in our trip  came over to talk to us.  He and his wife both said  several times, "respect" and "courage"!  It would not be the last time we received the compliment today. We had a great conversation as he was from Quebec and his son worked in Squamish, no more than one hour's drive from our house. We pass by there on our many trips to Whistler mountain. 

Our first lookout with the view down the valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road up. Pat is enjoying this climb more than yesterday.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are amazed that in the middle of absolutely nowhere, we come across a cow beside the road. Now that is free range beef!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Smiling today as she still has a few more gears available.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached the top!  Just over 400 metres!  When we rounded the corner,  the Mediterranean came into view. Wow!! It is always really quite stunning!  We stopped for a snack and watched people in cars come and go after taking a picture or two. It was a great place to meet people!

Col di Palmerella at 403 metres. Kind of funny when you wikipedia the col name you get a picture of the sign with a few stickers on it. Today it is fully covered.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first view below Col di Palmerella. The picture with the grey cloud does not really do it justice. But it is a wow moment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our snack spot where we watched the cars come and go.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had now crossed from the Haute Corse region to Corse du Sud. As we started down the hill,  Pat commented that it was as if the roads were maintained by different departments. It was not that it was a bad road, but the surface was more chip seal and not at all smooth. This certainly moderated our downhill speeds to only 15 kilometres per hour. We are very careful on downhills in any case. Pat calls her bike "Prudence" for that reason.

More wonderful views.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quite the ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Never get tired of this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
E Tre Signore (and three ladies) A ways away now but we will be right below these peaks at Porto tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more shot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cool road side fountain made from river rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road soon levelled out about 200 metres lower  after twisting and turning along the side of the hills all the while punctuated with great views. A small cafe right on the highway just outside Curzu provided a nice coffee stop. We then continued our  descent  on a long turny stretch right to the valley floor before having to climb up one last hill before another steep descent into Porto.

Riding on the side of a cliff. This is quite the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Overhanging rock.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived at 3:30 and our check-in time was not until  4pm.  What do you do after an excellent day's ride???  We picked up two cans of beer and headed to the beach. Scott had a swim and we enjoyed our cold ones  as the sun went behind the hills. It goes down early over the sharp hills surrounding Porto.  The forecast for tomorrow is for fairly steady rain so we are preparing for perhaps a rain delay day in Porto.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 721 km (448 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bennie D. BarfieldMy wife and I took a tour of Sardinia, very rugged but beautiful.. All ways wonder about Corscia.. Tanks for the views..
Reply to this comment
5 years ago