Feb. 9, Lamphun - Baan Phupona: Over the hill? - Cycling in Thailand North to South - CycleBlaze

February 9, 2010

Feb. 9, Lamphun - Baan Phupona: Over the hill?

We set out from Lamphun with little information on the road ahead except that the map indicates a pass and the next town, Lampang, is about 80 km distant. We know this is too much for us with our panniers and in the heat but expect a solution will make itself apparent or that unsuspected reserves of strength, determination and energy will emerge from the depths of our beings.

Our hotel in Lamphun
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our road is a highway with an ample shoulder. Not exactly an idyllic country road but the surface is fine and the traffic always at a safe distance. Eventually the climb starts, not too steep but taxing enough in the heat.

Leaving Lamphun - lots of traffic on the road but we have our own lane and the surface is good.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I pedal on ahead, Janos brings up the rear - he likes to have me in his line of vision. I plug on and after pedalling the first hump I find a patch of shade and wait. When Janos pulls up he asks me why I don't have my cell phone on - he wanted to tell me he was going to turn back and that the heat was getting to him, he didn't think he could continue. We rest, drink and Janos decides to have another go at it. A short relief in the form of downhill precedes the beginning of the continuous climb to the top.

Heading for the hills
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, in that photo, you can see/feel the heat and humidity....!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

But we don't make it to the top, we don't have to make it to the top. Miraculously, a sign appears on the dusty roadside ... "Guesthouse". No, no reserves of strength, determination and energy saved the day, just luck. Within a few seconds Mr. Phupona is standing before us, asking if he can help. Set back about 50 meters from the highway, he has three clean, cool, quiet rooms with hot showers for rent and we don't need long to make up our minds to stay. Closer to the road he runs a little restaurant and sizeable souvenir shop.

Our bikes are in good company - Thai ox cart hand crafted by Mr. Phunpona's father
Heart 3 Comment 0
Janos is very happy with the outcome of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice and clean place for you to stay!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We're not sure how much of the climb remains for tomorrow, but we're happy with the here and now and feel confident in the cool of the morning we can tackle it.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0