Feb. 15 - 19, Sukhothai: Discovering slowness - Cycling in Thailand North to South - CycleBlaze

February 15, 2010 to February 19, 2010

Feb. 15 - 19, Sukhothai: Discovering slowness

If you're going slow, which means staying put more than cycling, there is still plenty to do. The agenda for our days in Sukhothai is in the mornings riding our bikes to the many temple ruins strewn over the historical park which covers about 79 square kilometers and taking it easy in the afternoon. We have time to work over our pictures, write our journals, read. I guess the word is chill, really appropriate for the cooling effect of the emerald green swimming pool that we can almost call our own since at the moment no other guests are here. Towards evening we might make another foray to the park with our cameras, trying to get some shots of the ruins at night (unsuccessful) or catch a sunset (no journal is complete without one).

Apropos camera: In the previous entry I mentioned that Janos's camera got damaged. On our first day here, while I laze and read in a hammock at the swimming pool, Janos cycles the 10 km into New Sukhothai in hopes of finding a Canon dealer. He is only partially successful. Yes, he finds a fairly decent sized shop selling Canons, but no they can't help him with the bent lens. The compromise he settles for is an inexpensive point-and-shoot digital camera for the rest of the trip. Basically, the camera is as good as the photographer and I know that Janos will now be taking some more great pictures.

After seeing this monk taking pictures of his fellow monks, I feel better that I am always tempted to whip out my camera whenever I see monks in their brilliant saffron robes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I don't know what ceremony was occasion for this procession of monks, each carrying his only possessions: food bowl, bag, an oval fan and umbrella.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We cycle around along with many school classes on rented bikes visiting the park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Janos cycling in Sukhothai Historical Park which covers 70 square Kilometers with 193 ruins - a lovely place to cycle. There are plenty of bikes for hire, but there's nothing like having your own, especially if you have long legs. Bikes here are not made for tall westerners.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On our way to some of the more outlying temples
Heart 1 Comment 0
Country scenes alternate with temple ruins
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not too many tourists bother to visit the more distant ruins.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wat Si Sawai, located near the main temple Wat Mahatat, originally a Hindu shrine with Lopburi-style stupas
Heart 1 Comment 0
Serene
Heart 1 Comment 0
Majestic
Heart 0 Comment 0
Contemplative
Heart 2 Comment 0
School kids on a field trip to Sukhothai, their cultural heritage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not much left of the Buddha figures, but perhaps all the more evocative
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is his domaine now. In Thailand there are dogs all over the place, not always as healthy looking as this specimen.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coping with the heat
Heart 1 Comment 0
And what animal is this?
Heart 0 Comment 0
My obligatory sunset
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat sunset picture!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We also visit the Sangkhalok Museum in New Sukhothai which displays an interesting collection of ceramic wares produced some 700 years ago in the northern region of Thailand. Sangkhalok is the name of ceramic wares produced in the old city of Sukhothai.

Thuriang Kiln Site: The kilns of Sukhothai are famous for the beautiful Sangkhalok ceramics once produced there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bowl at the Sangkhalok Museum, New Sukhothai. Fish are often represented on Sukhothai's early glazed stoneware. "In the water there are fish, in the field there is rice", described Sukhothai's wealth in the late 13th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tradtitional fish design is still popular, here decorating the pretty bathroom sink at our guesthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here's that fish again: the delicious tubtim fish we had on our last night in Sukhothai. Or at least I thought it was the same fish depicted on the pottery 700 years ago. Google disillusioned me: "Tubtim (Oreochromis sp.) is a new fish species for aquaculture in Thailand."
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0