Sizun - Pont de Buis: Hot, hilly and short - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2010

Sizun - Pont de Buis: Hot, hilly and short

I'm surprised how cold it is in the night and that my trusty sleeping bag is not adequate. I put on everything I can find including my fleece jacket and jeans and am barely warm enough.

Not yet used to camping, we get a slow start. By the time we get around to packing up our tent, the sun is strong and we are sweaty and groggy before we even get on our bikes. I think the exertion of the first day is catching up with us today.

Our first day of camping. By the time we get around to packing up the tent, there's no more shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're lucky - picnic table! Our favorite breakfast when camping in France is muesli with milk. I make tea, but at the first café we see we have a nice big coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have a short, pleasant ride to the town of Hanvec, where there is a church to admire.

Sculpture on the ossuary in Hanvec
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gargoyle on the church in Hanvec
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nativity scene with the three Magi over the church entrance
Heart 1 Comment 0

To avoid roads with what looked like might be too much traffic we take smaller roads and let ourselves in for some dirt roads and good climbs, but with pretty scenery and plenty of time to admire it as we push our bikes uphill.

Pretty roads
Heart 1 Comment 0
As the road surface softens in the heat, we leave our tracks.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Pont de Buis we decide to call it a day. We find a room in a simple hotel, Hotel Marlea, and enjoy a lovely meal in their garden restaurant. Room including dinner and breakfast costs 57 Euro for the two of us, amazing.

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 64 km (40 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0