Pont de Buis - Douarnenez: We reach the coast and stay a day - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2010

Pont de Buis - Douarnenez: We reach the coast and stay a day

I wouldn't have been up to one more hill yesterday, but this morning I feel rested and the trip can continue. When we come downstairs from our room, the breakfast table has already been set. The hotel people's children are at the next table doing their homework and are being coached by the parents, a pleasant homey atmosphere. And I miss my grandchildren.

After a bit of a climb, we descend into the valley of the Aulne for a few very short kilometers. Then comes the longer climb to Cast.

We say good-bye to riding in the valley in Chateaulin when we cross the bridge over the Aulne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And into the hills
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Cast we get off our bikes for a look at the interesting sculptures at the church, do some shopping and it's already time for lunch.

Church in Cast
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the church yard at Cast the story of St. Hubert is depicted: While hunting, a crucifix appeared to him between the antlers of the stag he was about to shoot. Hubert was admonished to stop hunting and save his soul and lead a holy life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hunting scene with St. Hubert
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vélo Vendredi avec baguette
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLove it! They don't give you a long bag to put the baguette in?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lunch stop in a bus stop
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our next goal is Locronan, an intact medieval village, again houses und churches all stone structures.

Signs are in French as well as Breton, a Celtic language, still spoken by about 200,000 people in Brittany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pictoresque and well preserved little town of Locronan
Heart 2 Comment 0
Locronan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locronan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locronan
Heart 0 Comment 0

These lovely surroundings are good reason to stop for a little refreshment. Brittany is known for its cider, about 5% alcohol content and traditionally served in little ceramic bowls, and that's what we have. The taste is a little tart and musty, but refreshing. I've read that in Brittany beer is slowly replacing this traditional drink but we find it served in all the creperies, which are very common.

In Brittany cider is traditionally served in ceramic cups or bowls.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From here we have a long downhill - to the coast. The first view of the ocean is always breathtaking. We follow the road into town, again up and down, to the tourist office where we get excellent help finding a room. Hotel Armor is across the inlet in Tréboul and is wonderfully comfortable, with wifi and lift.

We reach the coast at Douarnenez.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Douarnenez, we ride down to the port.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I almost feel like I'm in Jacques Tati's film "Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot" in this sleepy little town. The beach is across the street and a few vacationers are milling about. We decide to stay two nights.

Whilte sandy beach outside our hotel in Tréboul, across the inlet from Douarnenez
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat beach is beautiful!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

On our day off our bikes we take a long walk along the beachfront, eat crepes, mussels and drink cider. Looking back we realize we should have taken more days off along the way, but after a while we forgot to take our time. We are slow enough as it is and sooner or later we get the feeling we have to keep moving if we want to get anywhere. I vow not to make this mistake on our next trip. We don't have to "get" anywhere, just "be" there.

The inlet between the two towns Douarnenez and Tréboul
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have a cozy little room and Internet and decide to stay for another day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A day off the bikes with walks along the ocean front
Heart 1 Comment 0
Moules frites - mussels and french fries, a popular dish along all of the Atlantic coast. Delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYum - mussels! :) :) Not every restaurant knows how to cook them good - so it's always a pleasure to get well-prepared ones!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
View on our walk
Heart 1 Comment 0
I didn't process these pictures, the colors are authentic!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 104 km (65 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0