Douarnenez - Audierne: And then comes the rain - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2010

Douarnenez - Audierne: And then comes the rain

We wake up to a cool and grey day, in the morning we can be thankful that it is still dry. We climb away from the coast to Poullan on roads with thick green vegetation.

Lots of green
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty roads leading away from the coast
Heart 0 Comment 0

On Monday most shops are closed. The strees are empty, not many people are about.

Cheerful pictures decorate the housefront of this café in Poullan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An inviting place - too bad it's closed today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very quiet little towns.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are looking forward to an exceptional section of the coast today but as we get closer to Pointe du Van, the sky gets darker and the wind picks up.

The sky is getting darker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes, there is wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I decide it's time to put on my waterproof Sealskinz socks.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI tried waterproof socks, but didn't think they did a good job - -hopefully your's do better?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We get off our bikes to get a view of the coast at Pointe du Van.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pointe du Van
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's around noon and raining when we sail down to the Baie des Trépasses and see a restaurant. By now we're cold and clammy and are very happy to be able to get indoors. I'm afraid that in our sweaty bike attire we aren't really appropriately dressed for this elegant little restaurant, but never mind, they serve us.

A short steep ride down to Baie des Trépasses
Heart 1 Comment 0

With the exertion of the climb leaving the bay, more gradual than the approach, I finally get warm.

The ride back up is longer and not so steep.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It continues to rain on our way to Pointe du Raz and once we reach this dramatic rocky promontory extending into the sea, it begins to pour. I take refuge under a shelter while Janos rides another kilometer to get a full view of the coast. What a pity that we don't have better weather for the beautiful landscape and views on today's route.

Pointe du Raz: Janos rode out to see it and snap a picture or two in the pouring rain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The indefatigable photographer
Heart 1 Comment 0

The rest of the day is a series of ups and downs and constant rain. Nevertheless, I'm feeling strong and think if I continue to feel like this (and Janos, too), we can get pretty far on this trip.

We have a long downhill ride to the river port of Audierne where we take the first hotel we see. Soaked to the skin, we look as if we had just come from the depths of the sea. The receptionist seems to lack a sense of humor, how could she not laugh when we walked in? At least she's willing to give us a room.

We spread out our wet clothes to let them dry and I work on my Keen sandals, the only shoes I brought with me, with the hairdryer. The Sealskinz sock are soaked as well. I think the fabric is waterproof but the rain entered at the top. Next time I'll save them to wear with my wet sandals in the evening.

The humorless receptionist said she had a very nice room for us - with a balcony - and didn't even crack a smile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the port from our window
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 156 km (97 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0