Cosne - La Charite: Two to one for the Netherlands - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2010

Cosne - La Charite: Two to one for the Netherlands

The camping toaster that I brought along is probably one of the most whimsical as well as unnecessary pieces of equipment I have in my panniers. Today for the first and probably last time we toast our stale bread for breakfast. Otherwise our Trangia cooker burns efficiently and never creates soot on the bottoms of the pots, but with the toaster it is another matter. A thick coating of soot covered everything - a mighty mess.

My nostalgic camping toaster set up on the Trangia cooker
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not a cloud in the sky, another beautiful - and hot - day. Before we set out, Janos installs the new tire on his bike. Jaap advises him to save the old one just in case, but Janos doesn't want to add to his load and disgards the worn tire at the campground.

Our path on the dam is lovely with fields of poppies and views to Sancerre perched high on a steep, round hill. Just because Sancerre is known for its excellent wine, we don't feel we have to cycle up there.

Along the dam with fields of poppies and cornflowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhat a great picture!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sancerre on top of the hill
Heart 1 Comment 0

When the asphalt stops, our pace slows down but we can't be too pokey today. This afternoon is the World Cup game Netherlands vs. Brazil. Ineke, Jaap and Janos don't want to miss it.

Ineke and I cycle on ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Janos has overtaken us and has already disappeared around the corner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are at the campground in La Charité just in time for the quarter-final match. No time for setting up tents or taking showers. All soccer fans race to the tv in a small hot room for the exciting game.

We can celebrate, the Netherlands won. We ride into town for dinner and Jaap treats us to an excellent Sancerre wine for the occasion.

La Charité: We ride into town for dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,172 km (728 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0