Chinon - Savonniere: Here a castle, there a castle - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2010

Chinon - Savonniere: Here a castle, there a castle

To return to the Loire we must climb the steep bank the Vienne has cut into the landscape - a short and more or less vertical climb. Once we reach the top it's smooth sailing on a quiet country road with just one more dip before we reach Huismes.

Not at the top yet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now it's smooth sailing
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding through Huismes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike Friday is vain and always wants to have its picture taken.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAnd rightly so! It's a beautiful Bike Friday! The red really stands out, along with your red bags. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Quiet roads
Heart 1 Comment 0

We soon reach the Loire Valley and the first castle of the day, the Chateau d'Ussé with its many roofs, turrets, dormer windows and chimneys.

It is said the Chateau d'Ussé stood as a model for the design of the famous Cinderella Castle in Disney World.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We continue along the banks of the Loire on a dam path, pleasant but with little protection from the sun which has become very hot by now. The next castle is a few kilometers further on the other side of river.

We cross over to Langeais. Chateau Langeais' 10th century origins make it one of the oldest chateaux in the Loire Valley. Today there is little to see of the original structure. At the end of the 19th century, the castle was much restored after a long period of neglect. A short visit to the castle gardens and we're back on the road on our way to Villandry.

Chateau de Langeais
Heart 0 Comment 0
Langeais
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting for chateau visitors
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the confluence of the Loire and the Indre, we follow the Indre to the site of the Chateau de Villandry. Villandry's lovely gardens have made it even more of a tourist attraction than the previous two castles we visited today. Tourist buses parked outside and the hot afternoon initially dampen our enthusiasm, but we are happy that we took the time for the park grounds.

Chateau de Villandry
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've been there and enjoyed it as well, during a bike tour of the Loire Valley. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Time well spent in the gardens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chateau de Villandry
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chateau de Villandry
Heart 1 Comment 0

By now we have had our fill of castles and are ready to settle for less feudal surroundings. It's not far to the next campground where I cook up a pot of pasta with vegetable sauce. Note to myself: Forget cooking with fresh vegetables while camping. Paring and chopping and sauteing while seated on the ground is more effort than it's worth. At least a nice bottle of wine doesn't involve so much fuss.

Camping de la Conflluence
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vegetable sauce for the pasta in the making. I used canned tomatoes, otherwise only fresh vegetables. Conclusion - too much work.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGood idea to carry a tarp to sit on, prepare items, etc. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 842 km (523 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0