Chevenon - Bourbon-Lancy: Motorcycles be blessed - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2010

Chevenon - Bourbon-Lancy: Motorcycles be blessed

The day starts out refreshingly cool. We pack up and Ineke discovers a few crusts of bread in her panniers and I have some bits of cheese left over - our humble breakfast until we find a café.

Breaking camp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soon we'll be coasting downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's a nice coast down to the village but we can't proceed. The road has been blocked off and a small crowd has gathered at the intersection. When we get closer we see hundreds of motorcycles have assembled and are awaiting the start signal while a group of priests in robe prepare their utensils for blessing the vehicles as they roll by. It takes quite a while and lots of vroom vroom vroom for each and every motorcycle to pass the intersection and receive its sprinkling of holy water.

When the last motorcycle has been blessed, a three-wheeler with lots of chrome appears and one of the priests jumps on board and waves good-bye to the spectators.

All traffic has been stopped including the Sunday cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Each motorbike receives a blessing and holy water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bye-bye and they're off.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltFunny that even the priest gets on a motorcycle! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

When the show is over we have our coffee and croissants in the café on the corner. The 30 km to Décize is nice riding, a few swells and the air isn't hot yet. And now it's time to say good-bye. Ineke has to start thinking about getting home in time to start work next week. Our companions will now ride northeast along the Canal du Nivernais while we follow the Loire to the south and then head east.

Our last kilometers with Jaap and Ineke
Heart 0 Comment 0
More quiet country roads
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now there are just the two of us. Our goal is the campground at Bourbon-Lancy and although the road is good and we have tailwinds part of the way, the last kilometers drag by and it is again very hot.

Leaving Décize
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still full of energy
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last kilometers are the hardest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's uphill into town, but my clever GPS leads us to the campground in a flash. Bourbon-Lancy is a spa town with a walled medieval area set on top of a steep little hill.

On our way into town for dinner: No panniers and we're still pushing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Authentic medieval belfry
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wooden frame houses and fortifications which date from 1495.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a cool town - :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,283 km (797 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0