Blois - Beaugency: Too hot - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2010

Blois - Beaugency: Too hot

After a good night's sleep and leisurely breakfast in the Hotel de France, we set our sights on Orleans. We ride past Blois' 18th century stone bridge over the Loire on a smooth paved bike path, followed by a short stretch of hard packed dirt, and then some more sealed surface. All is well, we stop often for pictures and are enjoying ourselves.

Bridge across the Loire at Blois
Heart 1 Comment 0
After leaving Blois the path goes through shady woods.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltA shady path on a hot day makes all the difference in the world!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A castle is behind the wall, but we don't see it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After passing Vivier we ride on the levee, straight as an arrow and hot.

Getting hot now on the levee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They have the right idea.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThose white cows look like statues!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

We still have a long stretch of pedalling on the dam before we reach a town and we don't have enough water. I'm not enjoying myseld quite as much as I was in the morning, as a matter of fact, I'm not feeling good at all. We ring the bell of one of the houses in the next village and receive wonderful hospitality, chilled water and apples. Some kilometers later we happen on more refreshment in the form of cherries, dark red, juicy cherries hanging in thick clusters and within reach.

Sweet and juicy
Heart 1 Comment 0
And within reach
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the campground in Beaugency we spread out the tarp first thing and take a needed nap. Still plenty of time for setting up the tent and showers and laundry before we get something to eat.

Yesterday we got a phone call from our good friends, Ineke and Jaap from Holland. They are also touring along the Loire and we agreed to meet the day after tomorrow in Chateauneuf-s-Loire for a few days of touring together. We are looking forward to seeing our friends again after two short rides.

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 977 km (607 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0