Beaugency - Checy: Small roads and a sandy path to Orleans - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2010

Beaugency - Checy: Small roads and a sandy path to Orleans

Hot again today, just not quite as hot as yesterday. After a breakfast in the campground cafe we get back to the bike route on small country roads.

Lovely bridge at Beaugency
Heart 0 Comment 0
Country roads leaving Beaugency
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat pictures of Janos riding beside the poppies. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We stop in Meung-s-Loire for a look at its chateau and a ride down the main road of the picturesque town.

Covered market in Meung-s-Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chateau, Meung-s-Loire
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bakery and cake shop
Heart 1 Comment 0

We then cross the river and have some unpaved riding on the dam.

Although he was a lot faster than me on the sandy path, he waited for me to take his picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0

One of the highlights of today is Orleans. The approach to the city is pleasant and well marked. Once in Orleans we hardly need our bikes. We push them most of the time so as to have our attention for more interesting things than traffic.

Bridge at Orléans
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike path along the Loire as we enter Orléans.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Orléans' neo-gothic Cathedral Sainte-Croix
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gargoyle on the cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Place du Martroi in Orléans
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of the Cathedral Sainte-Croix with its impressive towers
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, definitely impressive!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After Orleans we cycle along the narrow canal next to the river. For some reason it's not on any of the Loire bike maps, but I can definitely recommend it. It is one of my favorite stretches of the Loire so far.

On the way to Chécy from Orléans
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our day ends in the simple little campground of Chécy, a short way outside of town. We are hoping to find food in town but the market and restaurant are both closed. Our GPS informs us of a McDonald's some kilometers out of town near a large intersection and mall. Ok, why not McDonald's? Well, it was possibly the worst McD's I've ever experienced and I thought they were known for their uniform standards. Bad service, no salad ...

To end the day on a mellower note we decide to have a glass of wine in town at the only cafe-bar open. Shouldn't have done that. Grumpy proprietress, suspicious looks from the natives, over-priced little glass of wine. Are we getting paranoid? We take childish delight in renaming the town Chécy. For us it is now called "scheissi", German for shitty.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,019 km (633 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAww, that's too bad the McDonald's wasn't decent, and the service at the cafe-bar was not welcoming. :/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago