Ancenis - La Possonniere: Fete du velo - Brittany - Loire Valley - Burgundy - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2010

Ancenis - La Possonniere: Fete du velo

It is 8°C/46°F in the tent in the morning (yes, I have a tiny digital thermometer with me). Was my new sleeping bag warm enough? Yes, it was fantastic. I needed no uncomfortable extras like longjohns or jeans or socks or fleece jacket to feel cosy and warm all night. Just my silk pj's which I always take on trips.

As we cross the bridge at Ancenis, we leave Brittany and enter Anjou. You can see Brittany's coat of arms in the background and in the foreground Anjou's.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Looking at our route on the Google map, I no longer know why we took the route we did. Seems to me there must have been a more direct road but since neither my journal nor my memory can answer that question, it will remain a moot point.

At the start the cold wind is discouraging and the kilometers pass slowly. Once we reach the dam along the Loire, the pedaling and the occasional rays of sun have warmed me somewhat and the path is lovely.

Along the levée
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today is Fête du Vélo, Bicycle Festival, in Anjou. The entire Loire bike path on either side of the river has been closed to traffic and tons of people are out on their bikes. Not just the lycra-clad roadies that you expect in France on a Sunday, although they are also there, but families with children, people on trikes and recumbents, mountain bikes - you name it. And a few tourers like us, but not many.

All of the Loire bike path in Anjou has been closed to traffic for the Bicycle Festival.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Poster for the festival - the watering can says Anjou's future is growing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cold wind has chilled me to the bone by the time we reach St-Florent-le-Vieil - a pretty village with cobbled streets and old stone houses - and we stop for an early lunch to warm up.

We stop for lunch in St-Florent-le-Vieil
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cows are always so obliging - they look up when you stop to take their picture. Sheep, on the other hand, are not good subjects and usually run away.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI agree - and it's fun to chat with the cows too. :) I think they appreciate the company. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The last portion of our ride is on the Ile de Chalonnes, and island in the Loire, before we cross over to the other bank to reach la Possonière and its campground. If anyone is studying our route on the Google map, he will notice that we again made a detour on the way to the campground. Unintentional and unnecessary.

The flag of Anjou blowing in a stiff breeze.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The location of the "Camping Municipal du Port" near the river is lovely. In the small harbor we are surprised to see several traditional boats that are well kept and still in use. Later along the river we will see more.

Boats in the port at La Possonière
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loire view at the end of the day
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are also pleased with the little outdoor restaurant on the bank of the river. It is here that you register and pay for camping. The campground itself is either new or has been refurbished. Everything is in ship shape but it has no reception. Aside from two empty caravans parked on the campground, we are its only sign of life. And a few squirrels.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 678 km (421 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0