Wittstock - Parchim - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2009

Wittstock - Parchim

Again today as yesterday many tree-lined roads, fields and woods, villages, brick architecture. We also see some more storks. We are now in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, also part of the former GDR. The area we are cycling through is sparsely populated. We are pleasantly surprised to see that there are none of the usual chainstores or supermarkets like Aldi or Lidl in the towns we pass through. Small old-fashioned shops selling a little bit of everything - food, hardware, stationary - are more common.

We ride past enormous potato fields in bloom
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow - that's cool. This past year I tried growing potatoes in grow sacks on my sunny porch. They did very well! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
More lovely examples of gothic brick work
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building could have been a brewery. On the facade, I detect the six-pointed star similar to the Star of David which was the sign of brewers in the middle ages, symbolizing the three elements water, earth and fire used for brewing and the three ingredients water, malt and hops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close-up of the house front with the six-pointed star
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike is looking very diminutive next to Meyenburg's imposing castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church with chimney and storks nest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close-up of the nest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stork without nest. We are really getting to see lots of storks on this trip - at this rate they aren't going to be anything special any more.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I wasn't going to say anything about cobblestones any more but this is a good example of quaint roads not meant for bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As in the past days, the morning is cool and grey, around noon it warms up and by the time we reach Parchim I can take off my long-sleeved shirt.

Parchim in another town with exceptional brick gothic buildings.

Parchim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parchim
Heart 0 Comment 0
We eat at the brewery restaurant "Parchimer Brauhaus" where they brew their own beer - and a very good beer
Heart 0 Comment 0
An excellent beer
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 973 km (604 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0