Two days in Leipzig - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2009

Two days in Leipzig

We ride our bikes, we walk, we take pictures, we gawk - Leipzig has captivated us. Much of the city was destroyed by Allied bombing in WWII, much of what was remaining was neglected and left to crumble in the days of the DDR. Today the city is a beehive of construction and reconstruction.

Construction sites throughout the city
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many buildings are hidden by scaffolding
Heart 0 Comment 0

The impressive architecture and just a cursory glance at Leipzig's history will give you an inkling of the significant role this city has played over the centuries. Names such as Goethe, Bach, Leibniz - to name just a few - are closely linked to Leipzig's past. It was also in Leipzig that the city's Jewish community was effectively destroyed under the Nazi regime. Today, fewer than 200 Jews live in Leipzig, a city which had a Jewish population of over 10,000 prior to 1939. It was in Leipzig that the Monday demonstrations were held, the most prominent and couragious mass protest against the East German regime. Hard to make sense out of the confusing and often frightening contradictions of history.

Being a lover of Bach, I am first drawn to the Thomaskirche, St. Thomas Church, where Johann Sebastian Bach was cantor for 27 years and where he is now buried. A thrill runs through me, I feel I am standing on sacred ground.

Johann Sebastian Bach, in front of the Thomaskirche
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thomaskirche
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the Thomaskirche I am reminded of my mother who died ten years ago today. When I was very young she decided to learn to play the piano. She knew she had started too late in life to become terribly proficient but her goal was to play Bach and she tenaciously labored over some of his simpler pieces. Thus at any early age I became acquainted with Bach's rhythms and harmonies. This inadverdant music education left its mark.

The walls of the construction site are used as a kind of museum. Posters show historical scenes from Bach's life and travels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A kind of billboard museum
Heart 1 Comment 0
More from the billboard museum
Heart 0 Comment 0

Every summer a Bach Festival is held in Leipzig. We are again at the right place at the right time. I am delighted that we are able to buy tickets for the organ concert in the Thomaskirche tonight where pieces by Bach and Mendelssohn-Bartholdy are played.

We are fortunate to be here at this time, and more fortunate that tickets are available for some of the concerts
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spend a lot of time strolling and cycling, stopping for pictures. We discover the Leipziger building style of the early 20th century with spacious inner courtyards and arcades, today often housing elegant shops.

Entrance to an arcade between buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another passage between buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Facade detail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arcade or covered passage with shops and cafes
Heart 1 Comment 0

We can't resist - and why should we? - going to the tourist attraction Auerbachs Keller. Goethe frequented the resaurant as a student and it achieved world fame due to the role it plays in Goethe's "Faust" as the first place Mephistopheles takes Faust on their travels. The food, by the way, was very good.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Heart 0 Comment 0
According to legend, the alchemist Dr. Johann Georg Faust once rode a wine barrel from the cellar to the street, something he could have accomplished only with the help of the devil. For the edification of all those drinking wine here, this scene has been reconstructed in today's restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On Monday evening we walk past the Nicholas Chruch, where the Monday Demonstrations were held in East Germany in 1989, a series of peaceful political protests against the authoritarian regime. Today a motley crowd still meets, protesting against social injustices of our century. I don't see many of the younger generation. To me the demonstration appears old fashioned, the form of protest out-of-date. Sadly, when I take a picture of this historic happening, one of the participants becomes irrate and shouts "Stasi" and "West German *?/&*". I can imagine this is someone seriously traumatized by the past.

Monday Demonstration in front of the Nikolaikirche
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather isn't good, too bad for the drab photos that result, but we still prefer sightseeing in bad weather to cycling in the rain. We take time for some Internet, something we haven't been bothering with much on this trip, see an interesting exhibit of Tübke's work, an artist from the Leipziger school, get tickets for another concert, this time in the Nikolaikirche.

Riquet, an unusually ornate Viennese-style cafe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leipzig's Museum of Art, showing an exhibition of Werner Tübke's work
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Mit mir stehst du nie im Stau" or "Never caught in a traffic jam"
In the streets of Leipzig, as in many other European cities today, you can find bikes for rent, a system that makes sense.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We realize we could spend a week here without getting bored, but Berlin is calling.

Is this Hermes who is casting an eye on my bike?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0