Rockanje - Veere - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2009

Rockanje - Veere

We now get a closer look at what is known as the Delta works, consisting of dams, sluices, locks, dikes, and storm surge barriers. In 1997, after almost fifty years, the works were completed. However as the sea-level rises due to global warming, the dikes or dams will eventually have to be made higher and wider. Today we ride over three of these large dams which connect the islands and peninsulas of the delta.

Overview of the Delta Works (taken from Wikipedia)
It has been declared one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World by the American Society of Civil Engineers!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Noordwelle: an example of a traditional "ringdorp" or round village on the island Schouwen
For protection from floods, the church and houses surrounding it were built on a slightly elevated piece of land.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A crop I couldn't identify
Heart 1 Comment 0
Close up of the plant. Anyone know what it is?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThere is an phone app called "Seek". You take a picture of what you want to identify, and it will let you know what it is. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Huge sluice-gate-type doors have been installed in the dam and can be closed when the water level gets too high.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This construction is regarded as the ultimate in hydraulic engineering.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we reach the last peninsula of the delta, a very big and very black cloud appears on the horizon. The race is on. Will we find a camping ground before the deluge? We see a sign for a mini-camping on a farm and make a dash for it.

High hedges and turf teeming with clover welcome us. We are the only tent campers and, as is always the case when you arrive at a campground, the residents in their caravans sit and watch the newcomers for entertainment. That is our luck.

A moment after the farmer has shown us where we can set up our tent, the clouds open up. But our neighbors have been watching us and take pity. I see a hand beckoning from a nearby caravan. The elderly couple offer us shelter, set up chairs for us, make coffee. We don't have much language in common, but our host chooses soccer as a topic of conversation and a combination of German, English and Dutch serve us well until the rain lets up.

Hard to believe, but today for the first time we actually have something to eat in our panniers - pasta and a half a jar of tomato sauce from yesterday. I am so glad we don't have to go out and forage for food.

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,931 km (1,199 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice that the people in the caravan offered to take you in when it started to rain!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago