Leer - Wagenborgen - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2009

Leer - Wagenborgen

From the weather report we know from the onset what is in store for us and are thankful that it isn't raining yet when we leave the hotel. Intending to take the drawbridge to cross the Ems, we see a detour sign and arrows directing cyclists to a ferry crossing. This time we decide it would be prudent to take the detour sign seriously as indeed the bridge is not open to any kind of traffic. The sun peeks out for an instant as we cross the river and in spite of some trepidations about what is to come we are in good spirits on this blustery morning. We haven't been underway long before we are caught in the first of many heavy downpours.

Ferry crossing over the Ems River
Heart 1 Comment 0
The drawbridge that we don't take is a construction site; the cars you see are parked, not waiting to cross.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the other bank of the Ems, a giant sculpture welcomes cyclists.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hello: In Bavaria you say "Grüss Gott", here you say "Moin". Cyclists are encouraged to use the extensive network of bike routes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The land is flat and you would expect the roads to be straight, but the fens are crisscrossed by drainage canals and our route on small roads is fairly roundabout as it makes its way between the canals to the German-Dutch border. It's a border on the map, on the road there is nothing to indicate we have crossed into another country except the road signs, now in Dutch. It is a stormy ride on wind whipped polder land to the crossing over the lock on the Westerwoldse Aa River.

Polder land
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing over the lock on the Westerwoldse Aa River
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI can see the rain in the distance...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After crossing the border we cycle on a narrow road of concrete slabs, used largely by agricultural vehicles which speed by. For a long stretch we see a few farm houses, no villages - even in good weather I imagine the road would be tedious. In the first village, Woldendorp, we discover a place serving coffee and Dutch apple cake. We have arrived in Holland!

Janos is willing to take out his camera in the downpour, not I.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Protection from a sudden squall
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYou look cold standing there!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rows of trees offer the farmhouses some protection.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bleak riding in stormy weather
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Wagenborgen we take a room in a pension and as anticipated prices for food and rooms are higher than in Germany. Again today we haven't covered a great distance but we've had enough of this weather. We are quite far north and at the height of summer the days are long. At 8:30 p.m. the sun shines briefly. Why did it wait so long?

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,433 km (890 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat happens here in DC often -- it will be cloudy all day...and then then sun will peek out in the last 5 minutes of the day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago