Cheb - Luby - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2009

Cheb - Luby

Janos has been noticing that his front disk brake needs adjusting. Waiting for the bike shop to open and getting this taken care of takes the better part of the morning. Satisfied that the bike is again roadworthy, we decide to take the "bike path", shown in some brochures, from Cheb to Franzensbad. Maybe a hiking path, but no, it's not what I would call a bike path. This insight comes too late. We have already gone too far on the narrow path, worked our way around too many roots, holes and stones to turn back.

Leaving Cheb along the Ohre River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Janos scouts the path ahead - should we continue?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLooks more like a hiking path than a biking path...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

An early start wouldn't have helped - swiftly moving clouds, strong winds and frequent rain showers are what today's weather has to offer. Once we get over the first six or seven kilometers of dirt path, it doesn't take long to get to our first destination of the day, Franzensbad or Františkovy Lázne. Franzensbad is a small spa town founded in 1793 on the site of an old curative spring. The centre of the spa town is a large promenade, flanked by elaborate spa buildings dating back to the late 18th and the early 19th centuries. It's all very nice but somehow in the rain the fountains and palm trees don't impart that feeling of luxurious decadence that I had been looking forward to. We look around, have lunch and set out towards the German border to the north.

Franzensbad: Too much water in this watering-place
Heart 0 Comment 0
Disappointed in Franzensbad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Signs of opulence of earlier days in Franzensbad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Franzensbad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traveller, if you come to Spa ... Wanderer, kommst du nach Spa ... (Heinrich Böll)
Heart 0 Comment 0

We ride through beautiful, unspoiled countryside of uncultivated fields and an abundance of wild flowers, with gentle hills in the distance.

A bit of sun as we continue from Franzensbad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Caught with my pants down - they're darned hot when the sun comes out
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unspoiled countryside, quiet roads and no road signs - the route on my GPS was very useful
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the best scenery of the trip
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the course of the afternoon the clouds become darker and the wind stronger, forcing the trees which line the road to bend over as if in prayer. Or am I the one who is praying? The wind was in our favor when we left, but now it has changed direction and its fury feels threatening.

Wind
Heart 0 Comment 0
The weather adds a dramatic note to the otherwise peaceful countryside
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are hoping that we will find a room in Luby and our struggle will be over. We had originally intended to cover more ground today but I am very relieved to see a sign reading "penzion".

We are happy to find this simple "penzion" or B&B on the way out of Luby
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 363 km (225 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0