Bruges - Torhout - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2009

Bruges - Torhout

Again rain during the night: big drops of rain roll down the sides of the tent like tear drops. Wah, we don't want to get up. But we have little choice, we must face the music.

We get up, pack everything except the tent which we hope will dry by the time the bike is fixed, and set out in search of a bike shop to get Janos's broken spokes replaced. We are told the closest shop is in Sint-Kruis, a few kilometers distant and Janos rides his bike gently, if such a thing is possible, to avoid causing damage to the rear wheel with two spokes missing.

The bike mechanic speaks good English and is tremendously cooperative in getting the bike fixed in time for us to be on the road this afternoon. He has never seen a Bike Friday before and is very impressed. We are likewise impressed at the speedy and good job he does on Janos's bike. Geert, the bike mechanic, lends Janos a bike to use for the morning while we are waiting and we cycle off hoping to find a nice breakfast.

Janos gets a bike from the shop to use while his is being repaired.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Geert's business card. If you have bicycle problems while in Bruges, Geert is the person to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's breakfast is spectacular. The café we choose specializes in different kinds of bread, served with interesting spreads - almond butter, home made jams, some kind of chocolate-nut goo, and so on. We will never cycle off all these calories at our snail's pace.

The menu holder is a half, no quarter, of a loaf of bread.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An inspiring variety of special breads and different toppings along with good coffee make for a fantastic breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOMG...that all looks delicious!! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The sun even comes out for our last ride around town and when we return to the camping ground our tent is dry.

The city gate of Bruges, on our way out of town
Heart 1 Comment 0

We don't get very far today. We had a late start and again strong winds on a not too attractive road south, not very motivating to keep pedaling. We look for a nicer road parallel to the N32 that we're on but discover it's just slower going and return to the bike path next to the busy road.

The morale is low today and we stop in Torhout. We have only covered 26 km and there's nothing here to see. But there is a hotel in Torhout, with real beds.

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 2,034 km (1,263 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0