Stuttgart: Rainy day, rest day - From Munich to Paris - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2008

Stuttgart: Rainy day, rest day

We wake up to the sound of rain. Determined to be on our way despite the inappropriate weather, we eat our breakfast and pack. I am a firm believer in the theory that the weather is never as bad as it looks from indoors. An optimistic approach, and only sometimes true. At any rate, our hotelier is concerned and urges us to stay another day. We successfully haggle a teeny bit over the price and are easily persuaded to see what Stuttgart has to offer instead of facing a very wet day on our bikes. They remain in the garage while we walk around the center of Stuttgart.

This is my first visit to Stuttgart. The center, I discover, is all about the Württemberg royal family. The city was built around the Old and New Palaces and their extensive gardens, now beautiful parks open to the public. To judge by the numerous anonymous-looking, post-WWII buildings surrounding the palaces, much of the city had been destroyed. In the years after the war too much had to be built in a short time with little money. Fortunately, the Old Palace and the New Palace are reconstructions of the originals and give you an idea of historic Stuttgart. The surrounding buildings could be in any German city and many are an eyesore. The palaces, by the way, were the residence of the Württemberg royal family in the days when Württemberg was a monarchy and that was up until 1918.

Reconstructions from the past
Heart 1 Comment 0
Courtyard of the Old Palace, in the rain
Heart 1 Comment 0
The New Palace
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flower market in front of the Old Palace
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI love the capture of falling water in a fountain. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Shopping in Stuttgart, but it could be any German city
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the evening we initiate our cycling in wine country and go to a traditional "Weinstube". The region is known for its good white wines and there are at least 100 different German wines on the wine list.

In this "Weinhaus" we spend a pleasurable evening
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is customary to share a table with others and while we are still on our first glass, a communicative elderly gentleman, native of Stuttgart and about ten years our senior, joins us. Over some more glasses of wine, he tells many interesting stories about the city where he has spent his life.

German wine isn't necessarily served in goblets
Heart 0 Comment 0
What goes with wine? A big "Breze" and ...
Heart 1 Comment 0
... traditional Swabian "Maultaschen" in broth. Something like giant ravioli.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0