From Stuttgart to Pforzheim: Up, up and away - From Munich to Paris - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2008

From Stuttgart to Pforzheim: Up, up and away

Stuttgart is surrounded by hills. The slopes might be good for wine, but not for cycling. I believe two days ago I wrote that I'm feeling good pedaling the hills, slowly but surely. So much for that. We start the day by pushing our bikes for about an hour.

You can tell how steep it is by the look on Janos's face
Heart 1 Comment 0

After walking approximately 200 vertical meters (Janos says it was 160, I thought it was 1,000), we spend the rest of the day in the valley of the Würm on a slight downhill gradient which makes for lovely pedaling, and much faster pedaling than we are otherwise capable of.

The maps we are using from the Radweit website (www.radweit.de) and the excellent signage for bicycles again make it possible for us to take advantage of optimal bike routes without being familiar with the area in the least. I also have a compass on my handlebars which is very helpful. This is a new feature for me and I love it. I refer to it constantly.

Lovely cycling through green countryside
Heart 1 Comment 0
On small roads through the villages
Heart 1 Comment 0
We finish the day on a wonderful long, gradual downhill ride into Pforzheim
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a lovely ride through the green valley of the Würm (not to be confused with the Würm near Munich), with much sun and intermittently dark clouds, we enter Pforzheim as a few drops of rain fall.

Pforzheim was completely destroyed during the war and what was built in haste after the war is a hodge-podge of "modern" architecture, without style or personality. We don't take to Pforzheim. Our cheap room isn't very appealing either, but it will do.

We are still putting off camping. The grey skies, rain and cool nights aren't making a campground look like an inviting place after a day of biking. I am full of admiration for those plucky cyclists who just put up their tents, notwithstanding.

This is Flammenkuchen or tarte flambée. (We are starting to feel the French influence as we get closer to the border.) It is even too much for a ravenous cyclist.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat looks DELICIOUS!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 327 km (203 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0