Trat - Chantaburi - Klaeng: Where's Joff? - Touring in Thailand, Cambodia and China - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2008

Trat - Chantaburi - Klaeng: Where's Joff?

For the 70 kilometers to Chantaburi we want to get an early start and are on the road at 7 a.m., earlier than usual. The N 3 is a smooth highway with a fair amount of traffic. We have a wide shoulder, light tailwinds and easy long rises and descents. It's an easy but hot ride. Along the road we see light industry, shops, garages. The cool morning hours for cycling make the early start worth while - but we don't see Joff.

Highway to Chantaburi
Heart 0 Comment 0

Chantaburi is known for its trade in gems. The streets are lined with gem brokers, the roadside decorated with giant imitation diamonds, rubies, what have you.

Gem brokers in Chantaburi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chantaburi by night: Giant gems light up the city streets
Heart 1 Comment 0

This time we set another superlative in our choice of hotels. If yesterday was the smallest, hottest and cheapest place, today is the fanciest. We take a room in the 18-story Grand Hotel, very good value at 22 Euros and quite a contrast to yesterday's cubicle.

On our way to Klaeng we again set out early, the road is similar to yesterday. Again today no Joff. After Klaeng he is taking a direct route to Bangkok and we will follow the coast. We are so sorry to have missed him on his Penny Farthing.

We are in Klaeng around noon and have lunch at the bus station where we invariably find freshly prepared, good food. We are told there is a hotel down the road - actually there are two and we end up in the less desirable one. But we didn't know we had a choice. This room takes the prize for the sleaziest place we have ever stayed.

A walk around town takes us to a temple with very golden cheddies, a shady spot where people are doing their jogging laps. We also find a cafe with excellent coffee, something I hadn't really expected here. Coffee is 'in' around the world it seems.

Jogger in Klaeng
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee shop in Klaeng
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0