Thaton: Rained out - Touring in Thailand, Cambodia and China - CycleBlaze

February 1, 2008

Thaton: Rained out

Too grey for a boat ride - we'll wait one more day
Heart 0 Comment 0

Yesterday it rained steadily and we canceled our boat trip. We like it where we are and it made sense to stay here another day. Of course we were disappointed to wake up to rain again today, the second day in a row, but we're not in a hurry and what's one day. Now the boat trip is scheduled for tomorrow and the Internet weather forecast predicts blue skies.

Garden Home
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's not just wet, it's cold
Heart 1 Comment 0

If you have spent the greater part of your life working and have had limited vacations, it's an unaccustomed freedom to have enough time to wait out bad weather or not stick to some sort of schedule. It takes getting used to. At first there is this uneasy feeling that you should be getting on with the trip and not just sitting in your room in Thaton looking at the rain dripping from the outrageously bright pink bougainvillea blossoms outside your window.

Heart 1 Comment 0

What is there to do in Thaton? I read that the border to Burma/Myanmar is just four kilometers upstream but I don't feel its proximity. We can chat with the few other guests at the guest house and take a short climb up the hill to admire the white and golden Buddhas at Wat Thaton.

At Wat Thaton
Heart 0 Comment 0
The White Buddha at Wat Thaton
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0