Siem Reap: Temples and a hospital - Touring in Thailand, Cambodia and China - CycleBlaze

December 25, 2007

Siem Reap: Temples and a hospital


Once in Siem Reap we were both feeling weak. We had a day at the temples and sweat profusely. Janos had lost his appetite completely and we both had belly problems. After Janos came down with a fever and had to stay in bed all day, we decided it was time to see a doctor. We made our way to the best hospital in town where they diagnosed amoebic dysentery and acute dehydration. They put Janos on an IV drip and kept him overnight.

We are both not yet feeling quite as energetic as we do otherwise. We are consuming good quantities of electrolytes to replenish our systems and taking it easy. As you can imagine, we have lost some of our bravado in the face of unknown roads in a country that is struggling to recover from the Khmr Rouge and its tragic civil war. It's resources have been wiped out. Everything comes from its neighbor and traditional enemy Thailand, including the doctors and nurses at the Royal Angkor International Hospital.

We will hang around in Siem Reap and take our time exploring the magnificent temples. We are even taking tuk-tuks to the temples since we found in our present state it was really too hot for us to cycle and then sightsee.

We are now doing some brainstorming on how our trip should continue. We would probably feel safer in Thailand where there is a better network of good hospitals. But at the moment we aren't sure how much cycling we are up to, whether in Cambodia or Thailand.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0