Jinghong: Problem solving - Touring in Thailand, Cambodia and China - CycleBlaze

February 8, 2008

Jinghong: Problem solving

Chinese New Year isn't dealt with so quickly and people, mainly kids, are still setting off a lot of firecrackers this morning and most shops are still closed, for example our breakfast place across the street. We hop on our bikes to look around. Not even the backpackers' hangout is open, maybe it's just too early for them. Eventually we find a busy corner where lots of people are either having soup, munching on corn on the cob, which appears to be a popular breakfast here, or having some pancake-like bread from the Muslim baker.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Corn on the cob
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now that we know how to get to the airport, we just have to solve the problem of packaging the bikes. Jinghong with a population of approximately 95,000 is small enough to allow you to get around easily and big enough to provide a wide variety of wares. We set out to find some suitable material for wrapping our bikes for the flight if need be. We see a kind of shopping mall where most of the stores are closed but not all and we look around. It doesn't take long for us to discover the red, white and blue striped plastic sheeting that I had in mind. After some awkward attempts in Chinese to communicate what we want and some bargaining - I'm sure we still paid much too much - we had ten meters of the material, an ample amount to do a real Christo-job on both bikes.

Entrance to department store
Heart 0 Comment 0
We bought ten meters of this stuff
Heart 1 Comment 0
Packaging material, easy to take on my bike to the airport
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0